Why is the PS5 so big?

They said it was built that way to cool properly... but the Xbox Series X is way smaller, and even more powerful, and it cools just fine. Does this just have do to with the design of the box??

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Kyle
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it looks like a wireless router.  lol

• 1 month ago

Common sense would say if the console is big then it cools better. 

We don't know how hot the hardware runs. 

There's going to be 2 new versions of the XBox X. The weaker version will be a little bit faster than the XBox One X and the other version will be around 200% faster. The Faster version of the XBox Series X will most likely be bigger. 

• 1 month ago

Because the large size helps justify the later release of a "PS5 Slim" or "PS5 Slim Pro".

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If nobody said this yet by now, that's what your mother said.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Wrong subcategory and I love consoles that look like buildings from Manhattan.

Edit: Maybe it is more powerful than the Xbox Series X. Only we could tell by the summer of next year how many of each it sold!

• 2 months ago

I'm no expert, but I think the reason that the new Xbox is less likely to overheat because of the shape and the large holes on top of the console. As the PS5 has vents going around the sides as oppose to the top or bottom, I should think that it would need more vents. This would be done by increasing the perimeter, making the console larger. It might also have a less expensive cooling system to lower the price of the already expensive console.

• 2 months ago

Because sonys too cheap to use a vapor chamber cooling system like microsoft. 

• 2 months ago

"it cools just fine"

We don't know this.  We won't know this until about 3 or so years after launch when we start seeing systems fail if there are problems related to design.

The Xbox probably has more volume in the box since it's more of a rectangular solid than the PS5 does due to the larger base, so it doesn't have to be as high to have the required airflow.

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The Xbox uses cube design solely designed for cooling that required a split motherboard to fit and other unique characteristics.  The new Xbox is quite large and as a cube will likely have similar volume to the PS5 given how much wider it is.  The PS5 is more of a traditional single motherboard design that also requires extra cooling.  The case needed to be bigger to fit the single motherboard and fans. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Have you tested both consoles? You say it cools well but we simply do not know that yet. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.