Bob S
Bob S asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 2 months ago

2001 Ford Focus rough idle/stalling?

I have a 2001 ford focus and it started running really rough and stalling at red lights. Also tough to start. I opened the hood and found the DPFE sensor melted. I replaced the sensor, but it had no effect. I took it to a garage who said it was the fuel pump. They replaced it with no change. I have replaced the oxygen sensor, PCV, and MASS air flow Sensor with no luck. It smells like it is running rich. Anyone know what else could be the issue? The check engine light is not on.

Dude, your car is worth like $50. Just buy a new one. 

• CB

Got you covered  (I had a 2000 Focus Ztec same issue). Firstly why hasn't the spark plugs, and wires been replaced (after doing this it improved but came back but should be done if overdue). I was looking at the coil pack and saw some small cracks in the case. Replaced the coil pack (<$30 on Amazon or buy a Ford for >$90 - but the cheaper one worked just fine for me) and all issues went away. 

NO CEL, with me either.