Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 2 months ago

Do Tacomas Really last 400,000 miles ?

I’m thinking of buying a 99 Tacoma Prerunner with 205,000 miles. It’s clean and everything, the dealer want  6,800 $ for it.

@A, I know, but for some reason the used car sales dealer by my house is selling it at 6,800$

I've seen a bunch of Toyotas listed on the 2nd hand market with 350k miles, even to this day. Looking at the 2nd hand listings a long time ago is what lead me to try a Toyota in the first place, because I was impressed that a car could go so many miles. That was the best $3000 I had ever spent. Before my 1st Toyota, I was a believer in American cars but not anymore....... and The Tacoma is no exception to reliability. American Trucks are usually good though.

But, you do have to change the oil.... and change it every 3k miles, not 5k like everyone says. Maybe 5k would work if it's an old pushrod engine but not with these tight AF VVT engines. Look at the Toyota 1MZ-FE engine if you want an example as to why you should change your oil at 3k-4k. Change the tranny fluid, antifreeze, keep up on the Power Steering, and everything else. Make sure to use the right fluids too. I took care of my 1st Toyota and it took care of me. And... I'd hate to say this but driving like a granny will go a long way. I drove my Celica and Camry v6 like I stole it, and while these worked fine at 250k miles, they leaked a lot of oil. Driving conservatively puts less stress on the rings, lifters, valves, and gaskets.

It seems the only answer who gets it is KY-Clay. This a Toyota Tacoma! Those trucks will easily hit 400K + miles with no issues whatsoever. I've serviced several Tacos with 600K miles, or more that have had no engine or transmission work done on them outside of regular maintenance, 4 cyl and V6 alike.  For the 1999 model year, the concern for me would be rust and age. That was still the golden age of Toyota. The best stuff were built during the 90's. If it checks out,see if you can talk them down on the price. 

Car values are based on demand in your area, nothing more.  Pre Runner models will fetch a lot more than regular trucks due to them having the 4X4 look, and while both low profile and Prerunners use the same V6, the lower profile truck uses a 2.4 liter 4 cyl engine, whereas the PreRunner uses a 2.7 liter 4 cylinder like the 4X4s. 205K miles is a lot of miles for vehicles, but it's not for a Toyota. $6800 sounds like a lot of money, and it is. However, the high resale value can't be ignored and it is well earned on these trucks. Toyota was right when they coined the phrase, " The best new vehicles, make the best used vehicle." Below is a link to a 1999 PreRunner being sold Private Party here in So. California. Over 300K miles and it still goes for this much:https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/calaba... 

I have seen Toyota's with alot more miles 

The dealer is asking $6800 because he can, and thinks someone might be dumb enough to pay that much. Don't fall in love with a car. Do your homework, find the right price (it's never what a dealer asks) and be prepared to walk away.

It is way overpriced. I would offer $2,500 and would not pay more then $3500 anything more I would walk away and look elsewhere. Plus, with 205k miles the truck might need tons of suspension work. 

• Scott

If you bought one new and were meticulous about care and maintenance, you could possibly get 400,000 miles out of it, but that would be the exception. Buying a 21 year old USED Tacoma, you get what you get - It could go another 10,000 miles or another 100,000 miles. It's a crapshoot.

• martin

Any vehicle will last, if it's been kept up.  That means religiously taking it for check ups and repairs.

No way man. If you want to buy a car with over 200,000 miles on an original gas it would have to way cheaper than that or for scrap/parts. I trust very few cars with original gas engines and I would NEVER trust a Toyota. Get an American car from a private party instead. Private parties usually have way better deals and they know the car.

With proper maintenance and care, yes. 

My friend had an 85 toyota pickup and he pushed it until almost reaching 500K miles. (No joke). Those things last forever if you take care of them 

• A

Go to kelly blue book,  I put the info in and said good condtion standard equipment and the value there is $ 838- $1601