How do I tell my boyfriend who I have already slept with that I had herpes 13 yrs ago?

A friend of mine got spiteful and told my bf’s roommate that I have herpes. I had herpes 13 yrs ago. None of my sexual partners have ever had it nor person that I gave it to 13 yrs ago had it again. So now the roommate wants me to be honest with him.

If you had it 13 years ago and not had another flare up you are still a carrier of it but whatever, it has nothing to do with the roommate if you did or not had that or anything else.

• kelvin

no you never had herpes but you did have hypochondriac trollitis

If you "had" it 13 years ago, you`re STILL infested. It does NOT go away, and there is NO cure. You`re tainted for life.

• Lili

You still have it. It doesn't go away.  And yes, absolutely, you MUST be honest.  While it's not common, you CAN pass it to someone when you're not having an outbreak, and if you're not taking medication to try to prevent outbreaks, that could be even more possible.

If you're not a troll (I'm wondering), you will simply have to sit down with your boyfriend and say, "I have something difficult to tell you.  13 years ago, I became infected with herpes. I haven't had an outbreak since, but you need to know so that you can decide whether you want to continue seeing me.  And I'm really sorry that I didn't tell you before we slept together. That was wrong of me."

That's the speech in a nutshell, except for repeated apologies for not telling him in advance.

By the way, how do you know it was herpes? The fact that you haven't had an outbreak since (and someone to whom you supposedly gave it hasn't had one) makes me wonder whether you were misdiagnosed. And ARE you on medication?  If you really have herpes, you should be.

i would just be honest with him

• Andy C

It's viral.   You're never rid of it, and the risk of spreading it persists and will do so until either a vaccine or cure, and viral cures don't exist. 

You should have been honest beforehand,  but explain how none of your partners ever got it from you. 

• Rick B

Well, it does not go away.  You HAVE herpes, not HAD herpes.  Assuming you are not having a breakout, you most likely cannot pass it to your sexual partner.