Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 1 month ago

How do I buy a new SD card for my camera if I lost my SD card? If it's a Nikon camera, does it need a Nikon SD card or are SD cards not...?

branded this way and instead it's micro, small, medium or large and they're universal for any type of camera?

Sorry, I've never bought a new SD card for my camera before...

Thanks

My cameras use SDHC cards which are bigger than the little SD cards that go in phones. You can get them for 16 or 36 gigs or smaller or bigger but 36 will hold lots of images even some videos thrown in. I buy them at Walmart but you can get them at other Electronic stores also. 

An SD card is an SD card. 

A micro SD card is a micro SD card. 

Thats the whole of it, other than the storage amount. 

Your camera might have a storage size limit.

Any standard size SD card will fit. They are of different capacities. 

SD HC (High Capacity 4gb to 32gb) cards are for most cameras made in the last 18 years.

SD XC (Extended capacity 64gb to 2Tb) will be suitable for only the newest cameras (last 3 or 4 years)

The number: I or II other numbers relate to the data writing speed. So unless you are shooting at 60fps or 4k video, or shooting stills at more than about 4 frames per second all the time this doesn't matter for 99.999% of your photos.

Top brands to look out for are: Sandisk, Toshiba, Panasonic, Lexar.

Buy a card reader to transfer your pics to the PC, they are not expensive and much more handy than plugging the camera in and using special software. The card reader just comes up on your PC as a disk drive. Pictures will be in the DCIM folder.

• keerok

Most cameras use full-sized/regular SD cards. I still have to see one that uses micro-SD. If the slot is about as wide as your thumb then it's full size. If it's more like the fingernail on your pinky finger then it's micro SD.

Memory cards come in different capacities which is related to type. Old cameras use SD only. This is followed by SDHC and SDXC. Sometimes, the type of card a camera uses is indicated on the door of the memory card. If you still have the manual of your camera, check what type of memory card it uses to be absolutely sure.

SD cards are backward compatible. As long as the size fits, you can use the old SD card on cameras that can accept SDHC and SDXC. 

Brand does not matter but what's important is that you buy from a reputable store. There are too many fakes out there.

The best way to go about it is to bring the camera to a camera store or computer depot. Ask them for a memory card that will work with your camera. Have them test the card with your camera before paying.

All cameras use generic SD cards, meaning any brand will work. For example, you can buy a Sandisk, PNY, Samsung or Kingston SD card and all of them will work. Avoid buying brands you have never heard of. Micro SD cards come with an SD adapter so they can also be used with your camera.

You can buy any brand SD card. I would go for one from a known-brand like SanDisk, PNY, Lexar, and so on.