Is it safe and healthy to brew coffee with egg shells it it?

Chester on the old Gunsmoke series put egg shells in the coffee.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course it is.  We put egg shells into beef or chicken broth to clarify the liquid, turning it into bouillon (beef) or consomme (chicken).  And strain out the egg shells.

Egg shells add Calcium to whatever liquid you cook them in.  I'm sure that Chester would have strained out the egg shells. And the boiling kills any possible bacteria that might be present on the egg shells.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, the eggshells temper the coffee's bitterness, helpful if you use a cowboy method. Some people use the whole egg: 

"Why You Should Crack an Egg Into Your Coffee Grounds"

https://www.eater.com/coffee-tea/2016/11/29/137698...

• 2 months ago

Yes it is safe to use egg shells, they are often used to clear liquids like wine, coffee, broths, 

• 2 months ago

Why would you want egg shells in your coffee?

That's like wanting penguins in your ice cream, or bananas in your spaghetti...

I really couldn't tell you anything about the health risks of consuming egg shells, but I can tell you that you definitely don't need them, and I'm not aware of any reason why egg shells should be regarded as an edible thing...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Safe, yes but I'm not sure how healthy it is. President Lyndon B. Johnson did that; he called it "Six-shooter coffee."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.