06 Jeep commander random NO-START?

I just purchased a 06 Jeep Commander. Randomly it will decide to not start. There is a loud clicking in the fuse box as well as an air compressing/bubbling noise under the right side of the dash. Is this common, and does anybody know a solution. Im probably leaving out a bunch of details and i know this. We've changed the starter, checked all of the fuses&relays. What gives? I cant afford to be stranded with my small kids on a hot day because the damn thing wont start. 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • M.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What next?  You need to use a voltmeter or 12 volt test light and a wiring diagram to find the open circuit.  It could be right at your battery posts? 

Since you know the word "random", it is very inefficient to randomly change parts in looking for an electrical problem. 

Starter solenoid clicking often means a low battery or resistance (corrosion) in a wiring connection somewhere.  With logic and an electricity indicator, you trace the wiring until you find the problem. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

This procedure is for a vehicle that is not cranking when the key is in Start.

Get the battery charged and load tested.  Replace if battery fails load test.  Replace the starter and start fuse.  Replace the battery terminals.  Replace the start relay.

If problems still persist, when vehicle does not start, connect one end of a jumper wire to the S terminal of the starter solenoid and with key On and shifter in Park, briefly touch the other end of jumper wire to battery positive.  Car cranks and starts, there is an issue with the start relay, park/neutral switch, ignition switch, start wiring problems or a security/anti-theft problem if the car cranks but does not start with the jumper wire. 

You will need to see a mechanic with a wiring diagram to check inputs and outputs at the start relay.  Since the problem is random, it will be a hard fix.  You can leave the jumper wire (secure it away from the battery terminal)  to start the car as a "temporary fix".  Good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.