Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

Hi, what do I do if I hit a deer?

I’m gonna be driving soon and one of my biggest worries is hitting a poor baby deer. If I did hit one, is there exotic vets or somewhere I could take it to get it some help. Please don’t be mean it’s just a genuine honest question.

It won't be a baby, it will be full size.  What you do is get out of the car and drag the dead body to the side of the road into the drainage ditch.  Highway crews spot it and it goes to the dump. Do not drive at dawn or dusk.  Your chances of running into one are greatly reduced.

.  No you can't take the "meat" for your freezer because you killed it out of season[using a car instead of an arrow or bullet]  If Wildlife Officers or police even"they know the rules" you will be FINED EXTREMELY HARD. That is the way it goes.

hunter

Deer can appear out of nowhere and be jumping in front of you on the road, especially at night. If you hit one and it's not too injured it will run away even if its leg is broken or its ribs are broken. Animals have a lot of strength and they're not cry babies like people. If you hit an animal hard enough and it lays where it fell, it's going to die and there's nothing you can do about it. 

If you bend over an injured deer on the road it can kick you in the head and cause YOUR death.

• Mystic

Deer are surprisingly very scary! Yes, they can pose a real danger to drivers on the road. But, there are some tips to help you stay safe! 

1. Be very cautious, especially during prime deer times. These are typically dusk and dawn (think early mornings and early evenings). Certain times of year are also worse. When bucks are in rut, they are actively pursuing does to mate with. This makes deer activity rise significantly.

2. If you see a deer that is close to the road, but NOT in your path and is standing still, do not panic. Slow down slightly (no need to stop) and just keep watching from the corner of your eye (while still paying attention to the road - do not let the deer distract you). Chances are, it will not run towards the road if it's not already trying to get there. It may even hear your car and get scared and run the OPOSITE direction (like back towards the woods or field). Yes, there is a chance it could get scared and run towards you, in that case, just be calm and prepare to try your best to stop. Deer very often get spotted simply grazing or standing in fields. If it is far enough from the road, you don't even have to watch it.

3. If a deer IS in the road, again, do not panic. DO NOT swerve to try to avoid it. Overcorrecting and overreacting can cause you to have a worse accident than simply hitting the deer. If you see it standing in your lane, start slowing up as soon as you see it. If you can stop, great. Try beeping your horn to get it to move on. If you are driving along and a deer runs out in front of you, again, try to stop. Don't overcorrect or cause yourself to crash or blow a brake line. If you are not able to stop and you do hit it, just get off to the side of the road, put on your hazards/flashers and call police to report the incident. If the deer is in the road injured or dead and is a hazard to other drivers who may come up on it and hit it, tell the police that as well. If it is dead on the side of the road or somewhere else where it is not a danger, just leave it be. Let the police know it is on sight and dead, but is not blocking traffic. If you are interested, you may be able to claim the kill, have it tagged and keep the meat. Ask the officer about that if you are interested in it. After speaking with the police, contact your insurance company and inform them of the accident. Then, you can work on scheduling a time to have your car repaired if the damage is able to be fixed (it is true that some cars do end up being totaled after a deer strike). 

4. Sometimes, deer hit YOU. This sounds funny, but it does happen. Sometimes, instead of a deer being in the road or running out in front of you, it actually runs INTO your car. This happens a lot if you're driving along and a deer suddenly bounds up from a ditch or something. They often either crash into the side of your car (usually a door) or clip your front end (usually bumper area). If this happens, again - just like in Tip 3, contact the police and your insurance company to report the incident, then schedule to have your car fixed. These types of strikes are usually less severe than those described in Tip 3. In this scenario, you are not directly hitting the deer. The deer is bumping into/off of your car.

5. I understand you don't want to hurt or kill a deer. No decent human wants to purposely hurt or kill another living thing, even if it is an animal. This, however, is not always the case on the road. MANY animals get turned into roadkill each year. In fact, it happens DAILY. It isn't just deer being hit either. Raccoons, opossums, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, even cats and dogs (either strays or pets that got out/loose) get hit. The smaller animals almost always die and don't typically cause any harm to your vehicle (if you hit a skunk, you'll DEFINITELY be reminded of it for awhile though due to the odor!). You have to remember though, being hit by a car is a big deal. A deer may initially survive the collision, but have serious internal injuries that end up killing it. If it wanders off from the crash area, it may or may not live. Don't dwell on it. If you see if run off into the woods/field, just think happy thoughts. Root for the deer and assume that it survived the crash and just ran off back to its natural habitat. If the deer is still on scene and is visibly injured and in pain, once the officer arrives on scene, they may need to put it down. This is not anything anyone wants, but if the deer is suffering, in pain and does not have a chance of surviving its injuries, the humane thing to do is end its suffering. In this case, the officer will have you go away so that you do not have to see the deer be put down. YOU would not be able to haul a deer off for help. If it could be saved, they would need to get a professional out there to take it away to a proper facility.

6. Some people left answers that may be scary to you, especially since you are a new driver. Well, their claims are not all false. In some cases, people can be hurt or killed by hitting a deer. In areas where very large deer reside (like moose - the largest member of the deer family), accidents involving them can VERY quickly turn deadly because that is a very large animal you're tangling with. Full-grown moose can weigh over 1,000 pounds. With basic deer like white tails, they can still be deadly. They can weigh around 200-300 pounds full grown. That is a lot of weight. Bucks are even more dangerous because they tend to be bigger and weigh more than does and they have antlers which can create a whole new danger. If you hit a deer at high speeds, you're likely to send it airborne... and that can put other drivers around you in great danger. There have been cases where one driver hits a deer and sends it flying into the windshield of the car in the opposite lane or the car behind them. If you have a smaller/lower car, this can also worsen the impact of a crash. A deer CAN go through your windshield. This can be extremely terrifying and dangerous. Many people have been injured and even killed this way. Others end up getting hurt or killed when they try to avoid a deer and end up crashing off the road. That is why I said before, DON'T swerve or overcorrect. Remain calm and if it cannot be avoided, just slow up and hit the deer. ALWAYS drive with common sense.

Be safe out there and stay alert! Hopefully you never end up hitting a deer. I have not yet (THANKFULLY!), but I know several who have been involved in accidents with deer. My mom has hit 3, my dad has hit 1 (he had a new car at the time too... talk about bad luck!) and a friend of my brother's had one hit HIM (came up out of a ditch and slammed right into the side of his passenger door).

The best thing you can do is be cautious. Especially during dawn and dusk, constantly scan the sides of the road for animals. If you do hit a deer, the most you can do is call the police to report the accident and your insurance company if damage to your vehicle is extensive. In terms of the deer, it probably won't make it especially if it's a fawn. It's nobody's fault, this kind of thing just happens. I understand your concern for the deer's well-being, but there's not much you can do  other than being cautious and alert to avoid an accident in the first place. 

• Where I live it's primarily elk on the road. Because I live in an isolated area I carry a rifle in my vehicle. 

.

If I hit an animal and it's still alive I 'dispatch' it with my firearm. And then I call the police and my insurance agent.

• Edna

9 times out 10, if you hit a baby deer with your car, you won't have to worry about taking the deer to a vet to get it some help, because you killed the deer when you hit it with your car. 

If you have auto insurance that includes Comprehensive coverage and you hit a deer (baby deer or full grown deer), you file a claim with your insurance company; and your insurance company will pay, under the Comprehensive portion of your insurance, for any damage to your car that was caused by hitting a deer (less your deductible). 

Hitting a deer  or any other animal that results in  damage to your car is covered under Comprehensive - it's not covered under Collision or Liability.

• JOHN B

If you're worried, get a deer horn or whistle. It will whistle a sonic warning to the deer as the wind activates it and they will avoid the immediate area. I had 2 on my truck. I've seen deer run away as I approached, so I know it works.

It should have an easy mount and place it on your bumper or fender.

The deer will probably smash in your front end or tumble over a low car into the windshield at highway speed. Forget about hurting the deer! You may be the one hurt.

I've seen many vehicles disabled by deer strikes.

• Erik

If you hit a deer, an adult or a baby, it will either be killed or very badly injured.  But don't feel bad about it.  If they jump in the middle of the road, what are you supposed to do?

Call the police and report the accident.  If the deer is too injured to get up, they will have animal control take over.

• Scott

When you hit a deer in central Pennsylvania, you call the state police, and they will come out and shoot it. Then they dump it in a communal dump.   Usually the deer will run away so they cannot be put out of their misery.