Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

How smart are cats?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Very, they’ve worked out you can get fed and housed without giving anything back, whereas dogs haven’t . 

• Koshka
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Those that say cats are not smart have never been owned by a cat...they are independent and quite stubborn, but very smart. Ask any cat owner that had more than one cat in their lives. Especially siamese, and oriental cats are very smart, but also very vocal, so you need to be patient if you get one of those.

• 2 months ago

Smart enough to make 'us' their slaves !

• 2 months ago

Fairly smart, but obviously not even close to humans.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Cats are smart - they just don't respond to things like a dog would.  That is not to say they are stupid - far from it.  I've had cats that were taught many tricks.  Key is to enhance what the cat likes to do and reward it.  My first cat could shake hands and tell you which hand a hidden treat was in.  He could also tell time!  I had another cat that was taught to spell words using refrigerator magnets (he could spell cat, dog, meow, his name and his brother's name)  Here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS8vmhA5A5k

Youtube thumbnail

• 2 months ago

Not very.  Dogs, birds, reptiles, pigs and rodents are all exceedingly smarter than cats.

An ability to kill small creatures for fun isnt a sign of intelligence.

An unsocial nature isnt a sign of intelligence either 

• 2 months ago

One of the smartest animals ever in my book.

• 2 months ago

Very smart indeed. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Cats have an EQ (Encephalization Quotient) of 1, which is a measure of brain weight vs. body weight. Dogs have a similar EQ. Chimps have an EQ of 2.2-2.5, about the same as an elephant. Gorillas have an EQ of 1.5, about the same as a sea lion. Humans have an EQ around 7.5. Dolphins have an EQ of around 5. Cows have an EQ of around 0.5 about the same as a mouse or rat. Horses have an EQ of 0.9 and bears have an EQ of 0.8 so cats are slightly smarter than horses and bears, and much smarter than mice, rats, and rabbits.  Cats are about as smart as a dog and a squirrel, but not as smart as sea lions or gorillas. Among big cats, the leopard is much smarter than the house cat, but the house cat is smarter than a lion.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

smart enough to have people wrapped around their little finger ...........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.