What are some external hard drives that are completely cordless?

I am looking for ones that you don’t plug into anything what so ever. I have a portable one but there is still one cord I have to plug in to my computer. I want one with no cords that gives off some sort of wireless signal and lets me connect my devices to it through a wireless signal.

This is the stupid powerhouse question of the day! Congrats!

• Shadow

How would the drive work? how would it get power? Would you crank a wheel or shake it for power? How would data transfer? 

I suppose you could use a bluetooth based drive with a built in powerbank but the transfer speed would be slow and the cost would not be feasible and in the end, you would still need to connect a cable to charge the powerbank so the answer is: No,there aren't any.

• Lv 7

there is no such creature. you must have a cord for power, and for data transfer. wireless data transfer is just not feasible for any amount of fast transfer.

Figments in YOUR imagination?

No matter how the computer and the drive communicate the drive needs to have power supplied.  The drive can either plug into wall power or it can get power via the USB port on your computer.  

If you don't want have a wire from your computer to the external drive then you need to acquire a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device or you could use a "cloud storage" platform, such a iCloud or Amazon Web Services (AWS).  If you are an Amazon prime member you already get a certain amount of cloud storage included with your prime account.

Link to article about NAS devices - https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-nas-network-a...

Cloud storage has the disadvantage of reoccurring subscription charges of some form, either pay directly for the cloud storage (Apple model) or burying it an a different subscription (Amazon model).  However, I personally get by with 50GB storage on iCloud for $0.99/month.  At $0.99/month, it would take over 30 years to break even vs the cost of most home NAS devices.   With Amazon Prime you get other services, such as free overnight shipping on products purchased from Amazon and access to Amazon Prime Video in your $13/month fee.  The major advantage to cloud storage is that it is professionally maintained, meaning that the provider is backing up your data to multiple different locations in their network, if one site has a failure your data won't be lost.  

Your personal NAS device has a higher upfront cost, but no reoccurring expenses.  The NAS is still subject to failure, in order to insure you don't lose your data you should have what is known as a RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) array where the data is copied to more than one drive in the event one fails.  All depends on risk averse you are.

Some routers have USB ports on them which allow you to connect an inexpensive USB storage device to them and you use that as an inexpensive NAS.  From my experience those don't work well, but then it's been several years since I used one.  The technology may have improved since.  If it was me, and I wanted my own NAS, I would buy one of the devices recommended in the PC Mag article linked above.

By the way, in addition to cloud storage I also back my computer up to an external USB drive.  Once or twice a week before going to bed I plug my laptop into power and to an external USB storage device and leave the lid open and run a system backup. The main reason I do this is in the event the drive in my laptop fails I can recover my system to it's last backup state.  If you set up a specific location in your home to charge/backup your laptop it's easy to get into this habit.  You can't do a system restore from the cloud.  The cloud is best for backing up your most valuable data, like pictures.

• BigE

Why make the drive wireless?  If it is on the network wired, you still access it via wifi, it is the same network.

What you want is a wired NAS, plugged into your switched wired network.  That will allow all devices access, wired and wifi.

• VP

Unfortunately, the only "wireless external drives" that I've heard of still have to physically connect to the system.  Either by a cord or via a USB port.  After that, they talk to OTHER DEVICES via Wi-Fi.