white smokes coming from engine of Nissan Altima 2012 After gear oil change(Automatic transmission fluid)?

I changed the automatic transmission fluid (gear oil)after 2 years some of the oil was spilled on top of engine while filling the gear oil and as I started the car and pressed a bit of accelerator white smoke started coming out from engine i could not tell exactly from which part it was coming but it was seeming from the wire connected to engine.i quickly closed the engine and I am waiting till morning to try again. What could be causing the smoke.

• M.

You are clearly inexperienced with cars. 

Some of the oil was spilled.

So that spilled oil may be on the exhaust system.

How did you mange to set the ATF level correctly? If I remember correctly there is no ATF dipstick on your vehicle. Did you purchase the special overflow tube that you need? Did you use the correct Nissan ATF? 

• Barry

That's oil burning off the hot exhaust sysytem. It will burn off harmlessly when you drive. Wipe it up asap next time.

First, automatic transmission fluid and gear oil are not one and the same.  If your car has an automatic transmission, you are putting automatic transmission fluid not gear oil.

Wipe down the engine bay really good and let it every thing dry up.  Have an assistant look at the engine bay while you are starting.

• Erik

You said you spilled some transmission fluid on the engine.  Next time grab a rag and wipe it up as quickly as possible.  If you're lucky that's all it is.

• Da

I would think that something is burning. Maybe you should bring it into a mechanic shop for them to look at it