Is the Nikon z50 a good upgrade for the Nikon D3400?

I currently own the Nikon D3400 and I've been wanting to upgrade for a while. I'm looking for a camera that can shoot both quality photos and videos. Is there any better option for that price? Do you think it's a good upgrade? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Sumi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

In order to know if you even should upgrade at all, you need to state why the D3400 is not a good camera for you.  Why do you want to upgrade?  What is it about the D3400 that is not allowing you to get the types of shots that you want to get?

The image quality of the Z50 may not be any better than the D3400, depending upon what you're doing.  For example, if you say that you need better high-ISO performance, then yes, the Z50 will be at least 1-stop better than the D3400 as can be seen here: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?...

If you say you need more editing capability, then the Z50 with its 14-bit RAW files will be much better than the 12-bit capabilities of the D3400.  12-bit files produces about 4,000 tones from pure black to pure white per color channel.  14-bit files produce more than 16,000 tones.  You won't see any difference if all you do is shoot JPEGs, but you will definitely see a difference when editing RAW files from these cameras.  Those who shoot scenes with a broad dynamic range (e.g. landscapes) will benefit from the Z50 over the D3400.

Here's a link showing the main features of the D3400 and Z50: https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-...  If the features of the Z50 that aren't on the D3400 are what you need, then upgrade.  Otherwise, keep using what you already own.

Without knowing what you shoot and what your needs are, it's not possible to say what camera you should upgrade to, or even if you should upgrade at all.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's not an upgrade but it's a great switch to what you want to do.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think you are better off buying a Sony mirroless camera because it has more lenses available or another Nikon DSLR camera if you wnat autofocus lenses. The Z50 does not have as many lenses to choose from because the Z mount is pretty new.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.