Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Can I rent an apartment at 17 in Ohio without parental permission?

I know that obviously I am not considered an adult until I'm 18, but I was wondering if there was any way around that? I have a horrible time at home. My family is not abusive, it just makes me extremely depressed to be at home, depending on my parents for a place to live. I would like to be completely independent. I have enough money saved ( and I am steadily making more) to rent a cheap apartment that is close to my work, where I would live completely by myself. I probably sound kind of dumb asking this because I feel like there's most likely no way for me to rent my own apartment, but I also don't have very much knowledge about things like this, so I thought it would be better to ask here instead of just dismissing my own ideas. I just feel like I need out of my house and I also feel completely hopeless of doing so at this point. 

OK, here's what I would do. Imply, but don't state.... that you are 18 years old. Talk about you are out of school and want a place closer to work..... I was out of school for 2 months before I turned 18.... so I understand the limbo, where you are out in the world, but not legally an "adult". Note - you are probably going to have a hard time getting someone to rent to you because you will look young. Given the choice between renting to someone that is 18, and someone that is 30, they are going to rent to the older person. Also, a decent apartment complex is going to run a credit check. You may or may not have any established credit. If you don't, you may have a hard time renting. Explain that you don't have any credit cards...... but you will pay extra on the security deposit (normally you pay first month, last month and a security deposit which varies). They require the last month of rent because people tend to not pay the last month of rent when they know they are moving out. I rented an apartment for a year when I was @ 22 or so, so it isn't like it can't be done.

• ron h

It's not illegal to do, but any lease you sign won't stand up in court. If you don't pay, the LL can't sue you.  So if the LL sees your driver lic and sees that you're not 18, the probably won't rent to you.  

Only if you are legally emancipated by a court, and even then, it will be hard to find a landlord who will take you. It won't be that easy once you are 18, unless you have a very good steady job. A landlord might require a guarantor.

Yes you can rent a house in any area of your Choice 

• L

NO.  A person MUST be an ADULT (18-years of age) to sign anything legal.

I suggest you take your time to think about what to do with your money.

Currently I have a lot of money saved up, and I am living with a family member. I took a lot of my time to think about what to do with my money, and I recommend, for you to do the same thing as me.

What I am thinking of doing is I am trying to take two different directions regarding where to live. A lot of people would normally take 1 direction, but I want to try to take two of them. If I can't take two then I will be buying my own home.

I am also thinking about renting an apartment, but you never know what can happen while living in an apartment. If I were to take two different directions then if anything bad happens to apartment then I would not be left homeless.

I recently read about some apartment building getting burned, and the residents had to evacuate their homes.

I suggest while you live with your family that you take that opportunity to think about where would be the best place, for you to live, and your career as well.

No. You cannot legally enter into a contract. Not even with "permission."  No apartment complex or landlord would be foolish enough to sign a contract they couldn't enforce. You must be a legal adult--age 18.

• Eva

You have to be 18 to legally sign a contract (lease).  It's unlikely you will find a landlord that will rent to someone of your age.  You need to be able to prove a steady income and have enough income to afford the apartment. You would probably need a co-singer and even then it's not going to be easy.

• Lolly

You can't sign a lease (a contract) until you're 18. Your parent would have to be the leaseholder and you would be listed as a tenant or occupant.

• Judy

VERY unlikely anyone would rent to you.  And you can't sign a lease at 17.  And is your income 3 times the rent?