Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceSpecial Education · 1 month ago

What are the worst things about being autistic ?

Not trying to offend just wondering 

The stigma and hatred that gets thrown at those of us who have mild Autism is one of the worst parts about it, I would say. We live in a highly polarized society where even minor "differences" are treated as a reason for hatred and discrimination. That's very sad, and I wish it weren't true, but it is.

Well, autism comes with a variety of struggles and benefits so, each person’s experience is going to be different. This is just an answer from my own experiences. 

As of right now, I regard the sensory sensitivities (specifically the aversions), meltdowns, and emotional problems that come with the disorder to be the most problematic. Stimming is a little embarrassing as well, but only because society deems it as “abnormal” and people stare at you because of it. 

However, I don’t like to focus on the negatives of the disorder too often because if I were to do that 24/7, my life would certainly be miserable. Autism is life long so, why not make the best of it, y’know?