Are trace amounts of alcohol safe for cats?
My mom wants to use alcohol to disinfect all the surfaces/tables. I told her not to do it because our cats will walk there and might lick their paws later. She said it’s ok because it’s pure alcohol and not an industrial cleaner. I told her I don’t like the idea of them consuming even small amounts of it accidentally. I said I'll use a water-vinegar solution and do it myself but she said it's not enough. Is it safe for the cats or not?
- OcimomLv 71 month ago
Rubbing alcohol is safe. But do not use Lysol or Pinesol - its toxic to cats.
- NatashaLv 71 month ago
No, it's not safe. Alcohol is poisonous to cats, the same as too much is poisonous to a human, the difference is that obviously it takes less to poison a cat than it does to poison a human.
However, using alcohol as a disinfectant typically isn't anything to worry about, as cats dislike strong scents. The cats will probably avoid areas where the cleaner has been sprayed, plus it's unlikely for the cats to get it on their paws anyway because alcohol disinfectants usually dry very rapidly.
If you're really concerned and want the cats to stay away, then you could always try adding a bit of lemon juice to the cleaner, or using a lemon scented one, as cats dislike citrus scents.
Hope this helps.
- SamLv 71 month ago
One of my cats licked up the remanence from a cup of Baileys Irish Cream I drank and all she did was purr and become more playful for a little while.
I didn't give it to her. I caught her doing it while I wasn't looking.
- Nekkid Truth!Lv 71 month ago
Alcohol dries quickly.
Vinegar doesnt sanitize or disinfect
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 month ago
Besides what anon said (it does evaporate VERY quickly), cats do have a very good, strong sense of smell and more than likely won't go near anything it's been on if the smell still lingers. My cats despise alcohol, but sometimes, must needs, and they won't go near anything it's been on for hours.
- Anonymous1 month ago
Alcohol is relatively safe. Just make sure the alcohol is completely evaporated before allowing your cat to touch those surfaces. Then it will be safe for your cats. Rubbing alcohol is toxic if ingested. Some drunks buy rubbing alcohol when they cannot afford wine and they can get poisoned by drinking it. Good thing about alcohol is that it has a lower boiling point than water and so it should quickly evaporate from surfaces.You can also wipe the surfaces dry with a paper towel after a few minutes because the germs will be killed during that time.