How dangerous is Chicago ?

I plan on traveling there from Las Vegas and need to know what areas to not drive in.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Cory
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

its only dangerous if you're black, stupid, and in the wrong areas

• 1 month ago

What areas of Chicago do you plan to visit?

• 1 month ago

Stay out of the 'hood (mainly the West side past Damen Ave and the South Side past about 29th Street).  Most (not all) of the North and Northwest Sides are reasonably safe.  Hint:  Beware of areas that have a lot of burglar bars, graffiti, abandoned cars, trash laying in the streets, and other omens.

• 1 month ago

I've traveled to Chicago many times and never had any trouble. Most of what you hear about Chicago is about gangs and drug dealers killing each other. Tourists are not being targeted. The downtown area is as safe as any other large city, and nothing is likely to happen to you in your car, except that the traffic coming into the city on the major highways is awful. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Generally, try to stay away from the South and West Sides of $hitcago. However, $hit can happen anywhere, even when you are driving on the highways; gangbangers drive too. Pay extra attention when you are driving on I-290 (aka Eisenhower Expressway aka Heroin Highway) at night. 

• 1 month ago

Every where.... Lock your car doors!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.