Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

How do you de clutter a house without renting an storage?

So I'm getting ready to put my house on the market and I'm trying to de clutter the house. I'm on an tight budget and so I can't afford to rent a storage facility. Can anyone give me some tips on how to de clutter the house without renting an storage ?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Donate whatever you aren't using.  For pricey items, sell them.

• 1 month ago

Get some boxes, or totes. (Boxes can be gotten free in a lot of places. Totes cost money, but are safer.) Start in ONE room and do only one room a day. Put all personal items in the boxes. Knick-nacks, ornaments, photos, posters on the wall, anything that is associated with you. If you haven't used it, needed it or if you don't want it, put it in a separate pile to either donate or toss. If you have shelves that have items on them, remove them. If you have a lot of books, turn the books so the spines are facing the BACK of the bookcase. Leave nothing that isn't either furniture or rugs. 

Once you get all your personal items out of the room, move the furniture and clean the floor thoroughly, shake or vacuum your rugs, then dust. Move any framed artwork off the walls, dust behind it, or clean the wall where it's been hanging so there is no lighter area where it's been. You can put back neutral artwork--but nothing that says personal art--such as the picture your kid did in third grade or family pictures. 

When you get things boxed up, move them to the garage, or basement. Write on the outside of the box what room they came from. 

When you get to the kitchen, remove everything you have stuck to your fridge. magnets, art, notes--everything. Clean the refrigerator inside and out. If you have appliances on your counter, put them in an unused cupboard so they aren't out. If you don't have an unused closet or cupboard where you can put them, then make sure you clean them thoroughly. Use glass cleaner for shine. Do the same for your microwave. Clean your stove and oven. Scour the sink and traps, make sure they are clean and odor free. Put spices away--don't leave them out. If you have a "junk drawer," dump the contents into another box and put them in the drawer. You can sort through the junk later. Put all decorative items in a box. Clean your backsplash, and cupboard doors with a degreasing cleaner, and clean the windows if there are any. Clean out the tracks of the windows, too--especially sliding doors. 

TOSS anything you don't use or haven't used in a year. That means EVERYTHING. Do that in your closets in the bedrooms, too. Don't fall prey to sentiment. If you haven't worn something in a year, it's realistic to assume you aren't going to again. Donate.it. 

If you can, buy some cheap, but pretty, towels and fold them and put them in the bathroom just for looks--not use. Clean the tub, shower, toilet, insides and outsides of bathroom cupboards. Scrub the floor. To clean your showerhead, add a cup of vinegar to a plastic zipper bag, fill the remainder with water, and tape it to the shower head for a couple hours--then remove it, toss and run hot water through the shower. 

I know this is long, but maybe you'll find it useful. Good luck selling!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have a garage, store your items in there (as neatly as possible).  Make three separate piles for donate, sell, and garbage.  Get rid of as much as you can before any showings or open houses.   

It's a great time to really purge and get rid of as much as possible - before paying to have it moved to your new residence - and then have it clutter up you new place.

• Dan
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Where will you live after the house is sold? Whether or not your stuff will go to the new place, determines what you do with them now. In other words, start the moving process. 

You can also park your car outside, pack all the clutter in boxes to store in the garage. Your house will still show fine. Buyers only need to imagine living in the house not the garage. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • R P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Throw away or donate stuff.

If you can't make the decision on the stuff yourself, enlist the help of family & friends.  But understand that they are not attached emotionally to your stuff like you are and so it could be very stressful for you.

• 1 month ago

Throw things away.

• 1 month ago

Depends whether you want to declutter permanently (ie get rid of things), or simply move your clutter out temporarily.

If you get rid of it, then do just that - have a yard sale, give it away, sell it, donate it to charity etc. 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you want to get rid put it on fb or sell it on eBay.

• Cei
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Look at all your stuff.

Anything you haven't used in the past year get rid off, you clearly don't need it. Take it to the dump or sell it.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Use a friend or family member's basement. The only other option is to get rid of stuff.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.