Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is it correct if I say "Is there any supermarket around here"?

So, I've learned that the sentence above is incorrect once you can't use any when you are referring to a singular noun, even if it's an interrogative sentence, so I would have to change the sentence to "Are there any supermarketS around here", like switching to a plural noun, otherwise it would be incorrect. But I don't agree on that and, personally, I don't see a problem. What do you guys think?

Ok, but if I say "Is there any milk" is correct, but it isn't a plural. That's why I am confused

Are there...?

Is there a...?

• RP

You can eliminate the issue by: Is there a supermarket nearby?

• D50

You would be understood if you asked that question, but you would also signal that you had not yet mastered English.

"Supermarket" being a countable noun, you would say "are there any supermarkets . . . ."

"Milk" is an uncountable noun, so you say "is there any milk . . . . "

MiIk doesn't exist as solid small objects--not a countable noun. Unless it in many containers.

If looking for just any close  by market. Then: "is there a supermarket around here."

Maybe you want to know the varieties of markets in a given area. Then: " are there any supermarkets around here". But people ask the question both ways, when moving into a new area.

Source(s): American English speaker.

Milk can be referred to as 'any' because it is general product. You could say "are there any milk cartons"....

A supermarket is a singular thing. We would ask: "Is there a supermarket around here".  The reply might be: "Yes, there is one just around the corner."

• Ian

Any invites the plural of is to are and supermarket to supermarkets..

• Is there a supermarket around here? (In the expectation there'll be one.)

Are there any supermarkets around here? (In the expectation there'll be more than one.)