Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Is it correct if I say "Is there any supermarket around here"?

So, I've learned that the sentence above is incorrect once you can't use any when you are referring to a singular noun, even if it's an interrogative sentence, so I would have to change the sentence to "Are there any supermarketS around here", like switching to a plural noun, otherwise it would be incorrect. But I don't agree on that and, personally, I don't see a problem. What do you guys think?

Update:

Ok, but if I say "Is there any milk" is correct, but it isn't a plural. That's why I am confused

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Are there...?

Is there a...?

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can eliminate the issue by: Is there a supermarket nearby?

• D50
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You would be understood if you asked that question, but you would also signal that you had not yet mastered English.

• 1 month ago

"Supermarket" being a countable noun, you would say "are there any supermarkets . . . ."

"Milk" is an uncountable noun, so you say "is there any milk . . . . "

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

MiIk doesn't exist as solid small objects--not a countable noun. Unless it in many containers.

If looking for just any close  by market. Then: "is there a supermarket around here."

Maybe you want to know the varieties of markets in a given area. Then: " are there any supermarkets around here". But people ask the question both ways, when moving into a new area.

Source(s): American English speaker.
  • 1 month ago

Milk can be referred to as 'any' because it is general product. You could say "are there any milk cartons"....

A supermarket is a singular thing. We would ask: "Is there a supermarket around here".  The reply might be: "Yes, there is one just around the corner."

• Ian
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Any invites the plural of is to are and supermarket to supermarkets..

• Is there a supermarket around here? (In the expectation there'll be one.)

Are there any supermarkets around here? (In the expectation there'll be more than one.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.