Liz
Liz asked in SportsRunning · 3 months ago

How do you manage to run outdoors with high temperatures?

Does anyone have tips on how to manage running outdoors in higher temperatures? I live in Canada where it is currently around 30 degrees Celsius (86 F) plus humidity which push the temperatures to mid to high 30s. I like to run as it helps my mood, I eat healthier, and helps with weight control. Our gyms are still closed to covid so running inside isn't an option.  

Any ideas? Thanks!

• .
    Favorite Answer

I live in Florida, where lately the daily high temps have been around 90°F with 70% or higher humidity. TRULY miserable. I try to schedule my longer runs to be very early Sat or Sun morning (when it's as cool out as it's going to be). During the week, my runs are often in the late afternoon (4:30 pm - 6 pm) and it can be really brutal, especially as I run on the asphalt which has been baking in the sun all day. 

.

Running in the heat and humidity definitely slows me down. I keep to shaded areas of the street when possible, and always carry water with electrolytes (nuun or Tailwind typically) to sip along the way. I run year 'round here so it's easier to get acclimated to the outdoor weather that way than if you start running outdoors in mid Summer or mid Winter, without already being used to being active outdoors during that time of year.

.

Hydration is key. I even stash frozen bottles of water in my mailbox so as I run past the house, I can get more water OR just rub the cold bottle on me to cool off a bit.  I also have a bandana that is 2-ply and sewn with an opening that you can stick ice cubes in it. Tying that around my neck can help temporarily, as the cool water runs down my body when the ice melts. Wear light colored clothing to reflect the sunlight vs absorb it. Keep to shady areas, when possible. Stop and walk if you need to. Try to time your runs very early or very late, to miss the hottest parts of the day. 

I run because I love it. It wouldn't matter if it was an ice rink, 60 degrees, snowing, hailing, thunder, pouring.. floods.. I will run.

By running early in the morning when it's cooler out rather than in the middle of the day.

• Run early in the morning or late in the evening.  Wear light-coloured clothing, try to stay in the shade, and stay hydrated.

Run in the relative cool of the morning or evening.

If you can't do that, run with a damp cloth across the back of your neck.