How can a horror storyteller get permission to narrate?

I am a new youtube horror narrator, who wants to learn how to proberly get permission to narrate authors stories. I have written to som over reddit, but only a few answered me. Is there a better way of communicating? I only have 52 subscribers, so it's not like i can give a whole lot of traffic to the stories, but still.. If any of you would be interested in letting someone narrate your story, then feel free to send me a message :) I am new, but i believe i make videos with okay quality. Hope your having a wonderful day!

*Probably

• Tina

I give people who ask permission to perform my verse as long as they credit me, but certainly not to read my stories. Why would anyone let you use their material for nothing?

I can't tell you how to get authors to give you permission, but I can tell you why they are not, and why I wouldn't, although I would be polite enough to reply and not just ignore you.

If you want to narrate their stories and put them on your YouTube channel with 52 subscribers, then there's nothing in it for them. You'll be offering their book for free and they won't be getting anything in return, in fact, they might even lose sales and the opportunity of being picked up by a professional narration company like Tantor.

Even if you had 1 million subscribers, that would only mean that they would lose even more sales, because why buy a book when you can listen to it for free? The only way that could work for them, would be if they had a series and gave you the first book in the series to read to try to drive traffic and sales to the rest of the series. Or if you would pay them a percentage of your YouTube earnings.

Not to mention that if they are traditionally published, they probably can't give you permission, even if they wanted to, because their publisher holds the publishing rights, including audio.

If you want to read horror stories on YouTube, then look for old stories that are in public domain.

• Andrew

It's proberly not possible.