Why can’t old computers watch youtube?

For example my 2008 pc struggles with 1080p videos and my pre 2006 computers struggle with youtube in general, wasnt youtube the same back then? why could it run youtube fine then and not now?

• Lv 7
    Favorite Answer

video technology has changed a lot, and even embedding video in web pages is done differently now than it was when youtube first came out.

you used to need Flash Player, and now HTML5 can handle video in any webpage with nothing else.

but your computer's hardware, if not powerful enough, cannot handle HD video. that is why newer PCs are so desirable.

maybe they dont have it set up for that

1080p wasn't available on YouTube until 2009. I don't know when exactly it became prevalent. YouTube in 2008 also primarily used Adobe Flash Player for video playback, and didn't switch to HTML5 video as the default until 2015.

Part of the problem is also that the video decoders in web browsers aren't very well optimized for older processors. If you tried using a third-party program, like SMTube, to play videos, it would probably be a lot smoother.