First job: Schedule advice?

About a week ago I got my first job, and I’m working a 7am-2pm shift for it when I’m in. Right now I’m technically still in training and since it’s Waffle House I’m learning how to call orders, etc. I’ve been coming in almost every day (minus weekends) because again, I’m training. After training I’m supposed to get a set schedule. 

I’ve kinda been a little worried about what my schedule will be. I’m fine with working basically any days of the week, but I don’t really think I can handle working more than 3 times per week. I’d totally cover for someone’s shift if they were out for a day though- I have no problem with that as long as it’s not constant. I’m thinking about talking to my manager about this tomorrow, because I’m pretty close to getting fully trained. I just want some second opinions on it. Is it too little/unreasonable for me to ask? Honestly I don’t know why this has been eating at me, I’m usually not a nervous person but this is a whole new experience for me. But yeah, some help?

• Eva

A normal full time schedule is 5 days per week. I don't know what your reasoning is with not being able to "handle" more than 3 days per week, but most people can't get by on that and work 40 hours per week or more.

• Scott

It depends. If you were hired for a full time position and only want to work part time, then you should not have accepted the job. Understand that the needs of the business are more important than your personal preferences to your employer. You'll never advance very far just working part time.

Hi, as an employer, many employers would like their employees to work 5 days a week, including covering odd shifts. You do not have much room to negotiate because the manager can easily hire another worker to replace you.

So just take what your manager assigns you, as much as possible. Managers have been known to assign odd shifts at the last minute to workers.

All the best.

of course u should talk to the manager. when they were hiring u didn't u discuss for how many hours they will hire u? usually it is discussed during the interview, because some people want to work full hours and some only part time. u want to work 3 days a week - it is part time (unless your work shift is 24 hours), so if the manager expects someone to work full time maybe they will not hire u or get another one as part time. i m very surprised u did not discuss it in the very beginning