Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Will Trump be remembered in history just how the world's remembers Nixon?

Nixon was actually a decent President, at times.

as uneducated bully

• Elaine

History will not be kind to Trump. Nixon, although he was a crook did enact policies such as the creation of the EPA which benefited all the citizens whereas Trump has deliberately tried to divide the country.  When Nixon was first elected president he had to deal with the Viet Nam protests and he didn't ignore them and began working on ways to end the Viet Nam War, unlike Trump who has called the BLM protesters traitors.  

The world does not remember Nixon

• W

Differently. Nixon was a crook. Trump is an idiot. 

• Mark

No, worse.  Much, much worse.  Nixon, for all his faults, has a few positive things to his credit, like opening relations with China and the EPA, to name a couple.  Trump's only claim to fame is that he brought buckets of fried chicken to the White House.  I'm sure other presidents had it, but it was cooked THERE, not brought from some fast-food joint.

• Sathi

Oh, I'm sure that's how liberal history books will portray him. They should also be honest about the disgraceful tactics Adam Schiff & Co. used to try to oust him from the White House, but they won't. Brett Kavanaugh got the same treatment. I say this as an Independent. I'm not a huge Trump fan.

No--his legacy will be much worse.  In fact, it will be the worst legacy of any President in the history of this nation.

I don't know about that, but he won't be well remembered.  In some ways Trump is worse than Nixon.  While Nixon was a criminal, he also did a lot of important things for America including normalizing relations with China and establishing the EPA.  Trump OTOH probably won't become quite so synonymous with criminality as Nixon because he managed to escape a legal reckoning. 

But he won't be well remembered.  Ten years, or probably even five years, from now people will look back on him as terrible.  And that's something that, in some ways, is similar to Nixon.  This is something I thought about a lot during the impeachment, when Republican Congressmen and Senators (with the notable exception of Mitt Romney) zealously defended Trump.  Nixon won one of the great landslide victories in Presidential history in 1972.  But if you polled people today who were alive back in 72 I doubt you'd find a single one who admits voting for him.  No one's proud to say that they supported Nixon, whether it's at the ballot box or in Congress.  And no one's going to say that they were proud to support Trump.  In a few years you're going to have the same phenomenon as Nixon, where everyone denies that they supported him. 

Trump will be ranked among the worst presidents in history. There are so many damaging facts applied to his admin, people could write a book about each yr. he was in office. It's been one scandal after another in such rapid succession, most didn't get adequate attention as the most recent one took the lead. I expect him to face criminal charges when he's no longer protected by the office.