Birth control? where do I start?

I know everyones experience is different but I dont even know where to begin. I dont have kids nor do I want any. Gaining weight will affect my mental health and im hearing that a lot of methods make you gain weight... where should i start?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • GB
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

Start by going to a family planning clinic to learn about  birth-control, and don't have sex until you get it sorted out. Also , try to get counselling about  your hang-ups about gaining weight.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You heard wrong. Hormonal birth control methods (the pill; an implant; the shot; an IUD) won't make you gain weight. Eating like a hog is what makes you gain weight - regardless of which method of birth control you use. 

• L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Go to an OB/GYN and discuss this.

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You start by going to your OB/GYN and talking.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Well, it depends how old you are,  how sexually active you are, how many partners you have, and the type of relationship you have with those partners.

While hormonal contraceptives can cause a couple of pounds of weight gain, the reality is millions of women use then and keep a healthy BMI and body composition. Very few women have significant weight gain. 

Vist and ob.gyn and discuss these options:

1. IUDs, injections, and implants are the most effective and do not require you to do anything on a daily or weekly basis or when you are having sex.  These are by far the best option for someone who want to prevent pregnancy for 3-5 years at a time.

2. Brith control pills come in 100 different formulations.  These are very effective, but require the woman to take a pill every single day, 365 days a year.  Failing to take a pill or two a month makes them ineffective.  If you don't have a good routine or are forgetful, this is not a good choice.

3. Diaphragms and condoms are physical barriers than must be use at the time of sex. The male also has to agree to use the condom.  These are very effective until the condom breaks or the diaphragm is dislodged. These can also be use with a spermicide.  These can be good choices for women who aren't particularly sexually active and or can also choose to refrain from sex during their ovulation window.

4. Sterilization.  A woman can chose to have her tubes tied (tubal ligation) or a have their uterus removed (hysterectomy).  These are permanent and irreversible methods of birth control. 

• 1 month ago

You are right that contraceptive pills, injections or implants can cause weight gain though the effect is usually slight.  Barrier methods of birth control (diaphragm or cervical cap) are less effective than oral contraceptives and require some advance planning. For long term protection, there are various inter-uterine devices (coils) that need to be fitted by a doctor or nurse and that will provide reliable contraception. Each method has its pros and cons.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A condom does not make you gain weight.

Birth control methods based on hormones MIGHT cause weight gain.

Pulling out is NOT birth control.  NEVER let a guy convince you that he can pull out in time to "be safe".  

Have a conversation with your doctor about hormone free options that might work for you.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.