Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it bad if I call myself White?

I am 70% White, the rest is Indigenous American. 

Should I call myself White or Mixed? 

I look White to most people, but my eyes are almond shaped. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If you go back far enough, it's quite possible that all humans have some DNA traits that aren't "typical" of the race with which they identify themselves.  

Perhaps humanity divided itself into groups that looked similar because they lived in small communities, rarely traveled, and became somewhat inbred.  Read some science fiction about future societies where everyone looks pretty much the same because of extensive racial mixing.  I'm sure that would make a lot of people think.   I'm surprised you call yourself "70% white".  Don't ancestries divide by halves, quarters, eighths, and so on?  If you have three white grandparents and one Indigenous American one, wouldn't that make you 75% white?  I'll admit, if there were more complex relationships further back, 70% might come closer to your situation.  Anyway, you can certainly refer to yourself as White.  If and when it comes time to have children, you can talk it over with your spouse.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Genetically, you're 70% white; so, if you want to call yourself  anything, call yourself Caucasian (the "white" race). That's what you are and probably what you look like. Your 30% Indigenous American genes aren't enough for you to call yourself 'mixed".  

• 1 month ago

Ultimately, you identify with what is comfortable for you.  There is no one golden rule to follow, listen to your intuition and move forward in a way that makes sense for you.

• 1 month ago

Feel free to call yourself whatever you want.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

thats up to you

• 1 month ago

I think you should call yourself human and leave the determination of your race up to the racists 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Call yourself whatever you like. But almond shaped eyes aren't a specifically non white trait. Apparently you've never been to Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, et al. 

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It is okay to self-identify as white, since you've stated that you appear white to most people.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

no , because you are mainly white and if your skin colour is then yeah

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.