Anonymous

Do you have to wear a face mask if you have a disability?

I claim disability benefits in the uk and the bus driver told me to wear a mask without telling him what my condition is.

Just say you are a Republican. They don't have to wear masks. 

• mom

no matter where you live or what country you live, you should wear a mask

• Ann

COVID is a virus, spread by oral/nasal contact--not like bacterial illnesses.  When a mask is worn, it is for the protection of the "other person", not the wearer.  Here in TX (US), where the numbers have risen alarmingly over the past few weeks, the governor of the state has mandated that masks are to the worn.  Period.  I have heart problems and asthma, and I'm in my 80's.  However, I will comply with that order when I'm in public.  It's for the good of everyone. I take off the mask when I'm in my  vehicle or not out in public.

even if there is a medical exemptions, most disabilities would not be exempt.  you would need to have a specific reason.  Due to my health conditions, I can only wear it a limited time.  I wear it in the grocery store, salon, or anywhere else I am around strangers, especially inside.  I don't go  to any outdoor public places and only go to indoor places for necessities (after 9 months without a hair cut, that was necessary).  I don't even eat at outdoor restaurants.

I can't wear one in the heat as breathing in the hot air that is trapped causes me to over heat as I don't regulate my body temp good.  I also find that I tend to trip because my field of vision is limited.  I am okay in stores with flat and clear floors), I can only see out of 1 eye, and the mask blocks my good eye from compensating a little.  It also blocks my field of vision looking down slightly and I have motor planning and balance issues as well as a slight perceptual problem (due to only having vision in 1 eye).  I need a clear line to my feet.

UK answer

Check the bus provider's website to find out how to apply for one of their exemption cards but only if you have a genuine medical reason to morally not wear a mask. People claim DLA/PIP for a multitude of conditions and not all of them prevent you from wearing a mask. Even if you are exempt it is still socially responsible to protect others by wearing a mask and nearly everyone can manage to if they calm down. I wear an N95 mask due to asthma, scarred lungs from numerous bouts of pneumonia, a neuromuscular disease that prevents me being able to cough properly and a condition that affects my immune system. N95 masks are somewhat difficult to breathe in compared to a surgical mask or homemade face covering but I wear it whenever I have to leave the house because lives depend on it. Public transport workers have died and are dying because people aren't obeying the rules.

An example of a downloadable exemption card by TfL https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/face-coverings#on-this... Medical professionals do not have the time to provide exemption letters.

• ?

Yes. Its a virus, it doesnt care whether you have a disability or not, your risk of infection without a mask is still higher than with a mask

• Robert

If there is a medical reason you can't wear a mask, get a note from your doctor.  If your doctor won't give you one you can probably wear a mask even if it makes you as uncomfortable as it does for the rest of us.

• kswck2

You don't have to if you are brain dead. If you catch the virus, what does it really matter? 

• sam

It depends what your disability is. If you have a respiratory condition where you truly can not wear a mask, then of course don't wear one. You may need a doctors note to prove you arent' being a jerk.

If your disability doesn't invilve the respiratory system, then you will still have to wear a mask.