Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Can I have one sitting of alcohol when pregnant ?

I haven’t drank all the way through.  I have a month left. I’m really craving it and it’s making me extremely irritated. I use to drink heavily before getting pregnant. 

no then your kid will vote baby yoda for meme of the year

• LizB

A small taste of something is unlikely to be problematic, but since you used to drink heavily, could you trust yourself to stop at just a taste? If not, then don't risk it.

• Lili

One drink won't harm the baby, assuming you can stop at one.  If you drank heavily, perhaps you can't.

In France, pregnant women are actually advised to drink a glass of red wine a day.  However, that's just one glass. Even French doctors wouldn't recommend anything more.

I'm going to take a contrary position to the others. It is only recently that doctors decided that drinking was bad for the baby- and it certainly is when the mother drinks a lot. But most of us who are older than 40 had mothers who drank sometimes while pregnant. No one thought anything of it at the time. Most of us were not born with fetal alcohol syndrome. The most dangerous time is early on, when the fetus is developing. One drink at your stage is not likely to hurt the baby. The biggest problem may be the drinking you did before you knew you were pregnant. 

Just as a point of interest, I know people who teach in other countries, and when someone gets pregnant there, it's common to celebrate with champagne. No one shames the mother for taking a drink. 

It's important to get help now for your addiction.

Um **** no. And no. 

Oh and also.... no....

You’re a terrible mother if you’re considering it. 

One more thing.... no 

Not advisable in your eighth month.  A sip of wine might be okay, but one sip rarely happens.  Its more likely that once you touch alcohol the desire to drink will be more persistent.  Do not use alcohol to de-stress while pregnant.  You can drink all you want once the baby is here (if you don't plan on breast feeding) or you could actually find a different, healthier option. 

• martin

You appear to be a social drinker who slipped into alcoholism.  Don't get started ever again, especially while pregnant.

• geezer

There is no real ''safe'' time to drink alcohol while pregnant.

Alcohol can cause problems for the developing baby throughout pregnancy

The first three months are the ''worst time'' to drink .. and you should actually stop drinking alcohol ''before'' you get pregnant .. if possible.

If you absolutely cannot do without a drink .. and you are at the late stages of pregnancy .. then two units a week is the most you should drink.

After the baby is born .. if you are going to breastfeed .. then you should limit your intake to one unit a day, and never breastfeed within two hours of having an alcoholic drink.

Remember .. 10% of the alcohol you drink can get into your breast milk .. so no alcohol at all is still the safest option !!

.. and don't forget ''one unit'' is

a small glass of wine (10cl .. 12% alcohol)

1/3 pint of 5% alcohol beer

or one ''shot'' of spirit (25ml .. 40% alcohol)