if you prevent the activation of a spell do they still play the cost of activating it?

eg if they play tribute to the doomed, and I play guard mines do they still have to discard a card to 'activate'

*pay not play*

While I'm not a player of the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG, I do understand how most TCG games run (as I've played Magic: The Gathering in the past) & here's how I understand the situation...

1) Player A plays "Tribute to the Doomed"...  at that time, the cost of the card (Discard one card) is paid & the target monster card is declared. -- FAILURE TO PAY THE CARD COST WOULD CAUSE THE CARD TO FIZZLE IMMEDIATELY (negating the response)!

PLEASE NOTE: I'm ASSUMING Player A will be targeting Player B's cards on the board here.

2) Player B plays "Guard Mines" as an interrupt (being a Trap card, it would trigger once Player A declared which monster card under Player B's control is to be destroyed), which counters Player A's card...

Under the traditional "Last In, First Out" (or "First In, Last Out"... as it's the same deal) order to resolve the stack & no other cards are played (as it would add complexity to the scenario)...

1) "Guard Mines" triggers & counters "Tribute to the Doomed" (as it gets destroyed) -- The card's activation cost IS LOST in the process.

2) Player A incurs 500 points of damage.

I do have to mention that if Player A selects to target one of their OWN monster cards on the board. Player B's "Guard Mines" would not come into play (as the card being destroyed isn't under Player B's control) & "Tribute to the Doomed" would resolve normally.  While potentially foolish, I can safely assume that the rules of the game does not specify that you cannot "harm yourself" & that specifics of the card would override any general game rules.  HOWEVER, if Player A had another card (Trap or otherwise) that could be used or triggered in response of the intended resolution...  it could be considered a gutsy power gambit.

While you'll have to review everything to ensure that I'm staying within the framework of the rules, I'm pretty confident that view of this play would be accurate if presented to a tournament judge, should there be a disagreement between the players on this.