Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 month ago

Can you get cancer from the chemotherapy itself?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

the 'chemo' in chemotherapy kills everything, with the hope being that the good cells will regenerate, so no ...........................

• 1 month ago

Yes, but people don't want to learn and live.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC37568...

• 1 month ago

I'm surprised at the answers here.

Certain chemotherapy drugs (not all) can slightly increase the risk of secondary cancers.  Some chemotherapy drugs can cause changes to the bone marrow, which produces stem cells.  Secondary cancers are considered a possible long term late effect of childhood cancer treatment.  Some is due to radiation (particularly with a higher chance of developing breast cancer after radiation to the chest in childhood, which happens with children with lung mets from various cancers, as well as with some lymphomas.)  Some is due to chemotherapy drugs (particularly with a slightly higher risk of developing MDS or AML after treatment for solid tumors.)

Maybe this doesn't happen as often in the adult world, since children have a much longer time frame to develop late effects.  Children do have more common and more serious late effects from cancer treatment.  This particular effect is uncommon in kids, but a possibility.  I've worked in peds oncology for over 15 years, and have had two patients who developed AML after treatment for solid tumors.

All that said, this potential effect is the lesser of two evils, because without that original treatment, the child will not survive.

• 1 month ago

No, I don't think you can.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  Stop posting this idiocy over and over.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Chemotherapy kills cancer. Therefore it can't cause cancer. More likely that it'll damage you in other ways.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.