Best Recorder for Recording a Flute? ?

So I am a classical musician and I have to record my lessons and practice sessions in order to listen back and get better at my instrument. I am looking for a recording device that will allow me to 1) record my lessons and then upload those onto my laptop to save (I want to be able to delete these recordings then from my recording device) for future listening and 2) record practice sessions that can then be deleted after the session. I was using a TASCAM DR-05 X Stereo Handheld Recorder for years, but I whenever I listened back to the device the recording quality was fine but extremely quiet, despite recording from only a few feet away. I HAD to use headphones with the volume up 100% if I wanted to even hear what my teacher was saying on the device. Also, another issue that might have been my fault, but the device ran out of recording space, despite the fact that I deleted my recordings once I was done with them so I only had a total of like two or three recordings actually ON the device. I am not sure if maybe I used the device wrong, and should have kept all the recordings and just replaced the SD card? 

Anyways, I was originally just going to get another TASCAM and just read the manual really carefully (my old one is physically broken now), but I was wondering if anyone had advice as to which device I should buy next. 

A mic's a mic. Pretty much the same if you were recording your voice.

I am a professional flutist and teacher, since 1973.  I own a ton of great recording equipment, but for my own practice, making clips for my students, even a recording of the flute part each year in the marching band show - I just do it on my iPhone.  Sound is decent, could not be easier to use, and so easy to transfer to computer if I need to.  No need to haul out The Good Stuff we use for our concerts. If it takes you longer to mess with the recording equipment than the things you are going to play - or it is only temporary - work light, use the phone.