DAVID asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

do you think defunding cops will make your life any safer"?

i think this defunding is dangerous. ok , does not mean removing Police departments but, it does eliminate cops from the department from which the removed funds would be paying these cops salaries". less cops means less protection for the public no matter which angle you use".

Favorite Answer

Of course. Everyone knows that if there were no police, there would be no crime. Also, fires only occur because there are fire departments.

4 days ago

I think the funding Democrats and Republicans will make America safer

No. On the contrary, it will make life more dangerous.

As a wordsmith and poet, I would suggest you explore the full meaning of "defunding cops" within the context of equal justice and Constitutional goals, David.  On the surface this would seem to say "Do not give police departments any taxpayer dollars at all"---but is this what the phrase really means?  Treat the concept like a scholarly college research project or a doctoral dissertation and it does begin to make sense.  For example, some police departments in small-town or inner city areas were beefed up during a big-spending, deficit-exploding Reagan era and again during the lawless Bush/Cheney administration from 2001-2008, becoming "overmilitarized" with equipment meant for war zones and battlefields, sold to the unsuspecting public (who paid for this militarization) as the right-wing Republicans being "tough on crime."  In actuality, the war zone equipment boosted the profits of no-bid defense contractors and did not focus at all on crime prevention---just a bunch of gigantic "boy toys" to play "tough guy" in overdone "might".  Defunding this misuse of taxpayer funds is a definite plus, most folks believe.  Under Bill Clinton's wise two-term presidency, crime went way down ("The Clinton Presidency: Key Accomplishments" available online) because funding was provided for COMMUNITY POLICING, where police officers walked a beat and got to know the neighborhoods to which they were assigned.  A proposed change for the BLM movement and their supporters would be a rule that the police for the neighborhood should actually live in the neighborhood, and this might be a way to cut down on the tendency to be trigger-happy when dealing with Black residents.  Rechanneling existing funds is probably a better way to interpret the "defund cops" message.  

Banning guns in the USA would. 30000+ gun death each year in the USA.

If the cops are defunded in my town, I'm getting at least one gun.  And I'm not going to ask for permission from any level of government, even though I'm in Canada.

Only criminals want cops defuned so that they can carry on their criminal activities un molested . rational normal people understand that cops are a necessary part of civilised life without cops society would soon fall into anarchy which of course would suit the criminals in society very nicely

Won't make any difference as they are never there when you need them.

Not my life in particular, I’m white. However it certainly makes the lives of black people and other races safer, seeing as they’re the ones primarily targeted by the police.

Of course not.