what's the common word for rope like objects?

I am working on a project that utilize rope like object as part of the design. Cotton rope, polyester fiber rope, or plastic chain would all work as they are flexible and collapsible. Is there a word/words in English that can cover this category? I don't want to do the listing as I might miss some material that I don't know of. Rather I would like to use general terms to describe object so that the whole category is covered.  Thanks

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Various ropes...

  • 1 month ago

    Lenticular ... . .. ..

  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    "Rope" covers any fairly sturdy thing used to tie things up, consisting of any fiber. That's quite different from "chain". I would not consider a chain to be a "rope like object". You can specify at the beginning that you are referring to anything that can bind together whatever it is you're working with. Then you can call it the "binder" or the "binding element". 

  • 1 month ago

    possibly cord or cable can be used as a generic idea of a long thread-like/ropy attachment.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    I can't think of any term that covers both rope and chain. Why can't you just say 'rope or chain'?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.