A scammer has my SSN. What now?

I stupidly gave a scammer my SSN because they pretended to be a legit company that actually exists and I was applying for the job. Yeah, it was a scam and now they have my SSN my name and my driver's license with an un-updated home address (My new driver's license was sent to me a few weeks later). The thing is I'm only 18 and I don't have any credit cards so how am I supposed to freeze credit that I don't have? Am I just supposed to wait until one day I find out that my credit was used and that it's messed up for life? I've already contacted the Social Security Administration but they mainly told me to " Contact the fraud units of the three major credit-reporting bureaus." But I don't have any credit.

I need help.

Favorite Answer

You "freeze your credit" exactly the same way as if you do have credit, because "freezing" means to prevent the use of the SSN to get credit. Freezing a person's credit has nothing to do with any credit that the person already has.

To freeze it

"Contact each of the nationwide credit bureaus:

"Equifax

Equifax.com/personal/credit-report-services

800-685-1111

"Experian

Experian.com/help

888-EXPERIAN (888-397-3742)

"Transunion

TransUnion.com/credit-help

888-909-8872

"You'll need to supply your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number and other personal information.

"After receiving your freeze request, each credit bureau will provide you with a unique PIN (personal identification number) or password. Keep the PIN or password in a safe place. You will need it if you choose to lift the freeze."