Sophie asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Does anyone have any idea what sort of condition a friend of mine has?

An online friend (I don't really know him that well, we talk enough for me to be concerned) has trouble distinguishing between himself and his character.

He roleplays, and often refers to himself by the traits/characteristics of the character, playing up only positive aspects. He only goes by the name of said character, I don't even know his real name. He also generally loses interest in any storyline that doesnt center on "him"/his character, particularly in roleplays.He has mild autism, along with anxiety and depression. He talks a lot about how he used to be bullied for being pansexual, and how he used to be popular but had to cut himself off (and move) due to 1) having so many fake, toxic friends, and 2) the principal of his old school being rude (im not sure on the specifics) to him.

The thing is, we don't really know which parts of the life he has constructed are entirely true/exaggerated. I don't want to make any assumptions that he's lying about anything, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he blew some things out of proportion (it isnt at all uncommon to lie/exaggerate on the internet about certain things).

Recently, we've started getting more worried about him. His lines between reality and the fantasy world/fictional character are blurred, and he kept referring to the character's birthday as his own when it passed the other day.

I have some vague ideas, but I am by no means a licensed psychiatrist, so I was wondering if anyone more educated had any opinions?

You have no idea if this is actually occurring.   There's nothing you can do.

• LAN

Attentionwhoritis  It's a very common condition here.