Employer had me buy a truck for my job. I got laid off and now have a vehicle I don’t need. Can I take them to court to buy the vehicle?

I was urged to sell my car upon starting this job and get a truck. I did that, and was given a stipend. A year later I was fired and now I have a truck that I did not need and my other vehicle was paid off. Can I take them to court to make the liable to purchase the truck from me since they required I have it for the job? 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Of course not.  Having a truck was a requirement for the job.  You made the choice to buy a truck so that you could get the job.  If you don't need it now, sell it and buy a car that suits you - new or used - your choice.  When you sell it, be sure and inform the employer so that he knows not to call you back for work, since you don't have the truck anymore and don't qualify/can't do the job.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • 1 month ago

I suspect you weren't an employee, but an independent contractor.  If that's the case you don't have an basis for a court action.

• 1 month ago

That would depend on the details. You might be able to sue them but why not just sell it. Presumably, if you bought a used truck, you should be able to sell it for pretty much what you paid for it.

• 1 month ago

You were not forced to buy a truck.

You had the option to deny the job and seek employment elsewhere.

If your previous employer pays for the truck, then THEY own it, not you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No you cannot.  You made the choice, you pay for it.  

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. You were not forced to buy a truck. You were told you needed a truck for your job.It was totally up to you if you wanted the job bad enough to buy a truck or not. If your other vehicle was paid off why did you get rid of it? You have no case

• 1 month ago

No. 1) Nobody put a gun to your head & made you buy the truck. 2) It's not your employer's fault that the economy tanked. They are not responsible. It falls under the legal precedence of "Sh¦t happens."

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Another snowflake bites the dust 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.