Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Could a movie producer successfully be sued for telling white actors they aren't allowed to play certain roles?

Ancestry DNA says I'm an equal mix of Native American and European but according to my skin color and the people who've perverted Black Lives Matter, it's offensive for me to play or voice Native American roles on television. God forbid I put on a tan and play a Native American role on television, because I'm not naturally tan like my brothers and sisters. 

• Foofa

You can always file a lawsuit but art is subjective and studios/production companies and directors have a lot of artistic leeway when it comes to casting. However, no professional is going to just come out and say it like that. In reality you'd get a call from your agent after the audition telling you they're "going in a different direction". 

No. Just like you can't sue for being told that you're too short for a role, or too handsome, or too refined looking to play a cowboy. Casting decisions are always subjective. 

A movie producer can pick anyone they want for the role.  "You don't meet hat we envisioned the role to look like" is all they have to say.  

• Maxi

Ancestry DNA is a product sold to entertain people, it is not a product result that proves any ancestry, no country in the world including native Americn tribes accept Ancestry DNA as any results they send what so ever......... how a movie producer selects actors and what /who they want will depend on the laws in the country they work in however no employer would state they are refusing for skin shade, they would state you didn't pass the criteria or compedance required for that part

Sure. Racism works both ways, right?

It's their movie, they can cast whoever they want.