Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

Is there an App/site that’ll tell me how healthy something is?

I’m trying to lose weight and I’m tired of all the weight loss programs focusing on just sugars or just fats or just carbs, so I was wondering if anything existed where I could type the name of a food or scan a barcode and it could tell me how healthy that food is overall. I know nutrition facts exist, but I don’t know which things on there are considered healthy or not. If anyone knows something like that please let me know. 

(Also please don’t suggest diet plans)

Thanks

i don't think we have any applications that does that, but we do have expiring date. 

when i buy a product at the supermarket i check how much fat  and sodium etc it has on the label

• Lili

Nothing's going to say, "This food is really healthy!" or "This food isn't particularly healthy!"

What you're going to get is just a list of nutritional values -- vitamins, minerals, how much fat, sodium, sugars, etc. the food contains. You need to learn to recognize what those values represent, what's a high level of fat or sodium, or the fact that if a serving of something offers 20% of the RDA of calcium, that's pretty good.

In other words, app or not, you have some learning to do.

Just ask a doctor or a nutritionist about healthy food according to your weight/age/sex/ height/ other genetic and hormonal factors.

What's healthy for me may be really bad for you.

Source(s): Personal experience

There are several apps like MyFitnessPal, Aaptiv , Fitbit Coach .............

You can run a search for the different foods that interest you. Such a search could be as simple as the one below.

Broccoli cooked nutritional value

Here's the result I got.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Broccoli+nutrition...

Now I see a site I use frequently for myself, so we'll go with that.

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-an...

With that site there's a drop down I can use, to select a specific weight.My usual go to weight is one hundred grams. There I can use that to compare similar foods, at the same weight. It not only gives me the calories, but also most of the more than fourty essential nutrients. It's also nice and easy to follow, as it's set up with easy to follow tables. It's also more complete than most others are, and not as complex, or as hard to follow as a few others are. However I prefer to work with whole foods, rather than the prepackaged stuff.

There is an app called MyFitnessPal which can tell you some of that stuff.  

There are several apps like Lose It!, MyFitnessPal, and Cronometer that allow you to scan the bar code on a food or type in the food name.  It has all the macros and nutritional information in terms of calories, carbs, fats, protein, sugars, as well as other nutrients per serving.  These apps also allow you to set goals or limit on calories or carb or whatever IF you want to do that.

These apps are a great way to see what you actually consuming and help you make better, more informed choices.

"Healthy" can mean different things to different people.  In general, you want a food that provides vitamins and minerals and or essential fatty acids (fats) or essential amino acids (protein) for as little sugar and caloires as possible.  So, for example, vegetables have a lot of vitamins and are very low in calories. Eating a good six cups of vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, asparagus, etc.) is a great way to feel full, get nutrients for vey few calories.  

Technically, your body doesn't "need" carbs, but we eat them. Foods that make us store fat are foods that have low nutritional value and high carb and sugar counts.  For example, breakfast cereal.  Even if the calories don't seem very high, the sugar and carbs are.  These require your body to produce insulin.  Insulin turns off fat burning and turns on fat storage.

Your body does need fats and protein.  There are "good" fats, like those that come with nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc. and "bad" fats like margarine or canola oil.  All fats  are high in calories, but you don't need a lot of fat, just some good fat.  The same is true with protein.  You need protein and the best place to get a complete protein (all the essential amino acids) is from animal products.  You don't need a 10 ounce T-bone, but you do need about six ounces a day of protein such as fish, eggs, chicken, beef, etc.

Other foods to be careful about are sweets, treats, fast food, junk food, fruit juice, and milk.  

There are dozens of diets and eating plans out there.  If you don't want to "go keto" that's fine.  There are plenty of eating plans that allow you to eat carbs -- you just have to count your calories.  

If you look at a paleo diet or even something like Weight Watchers.  OR you can simply focus on eat there meals a day -- no snacks.  Get at least six cups of vegetables a day, then focus on high quality protein and small amounts of good fats. Keep your servings of bread, cereal, pasta, rice, etc. to 1/2 cup per meal.  

Sure, Open Food Facts. Scan the product's barcode and get all the info. In the App Store.