Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Grizzly Bear protection: Glock Model 20 with 15 shots of 10mm or Ruger Alaskan with 6 shots of .454 Super Casull Magnum?

CTM:  I am sorry you don't collect old Gun DIgests. The .454 was originally called the .45 Super.  Then it was called the .454 Super Magnum. Then it was called the .454 Casull. 

CTM I have a Shooter's Bible where the listing for Freedom Arms calls the caliber ".454 Super Casull Magnum." 

• Quinn

Which one is best for YOU largely depends on which one you can shoot best with.  If you are ever in need of protection from a grizzly, spray and pray is not going to turn out well for you. When people think of a grizzly, they tend to picture a big hulking lumbering animal and never suspect that grizzlies have been known to chase down a running deer it wants for supper.There's even a YouTube video of a grizzly keeping pace with a car moving pretty fast -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywe60Nk_dEk

Youtube thumbnail

So if you are facing down something that can move that fast, you are not going to have much time to react. And that means you have to be able to bring the pistol to ready, aim and fire while making every shot count. So the question for you is which of the two pistols you listed will do that for you?  Can you handle the recoil of the .454 Casull? How about the 10mm? Can you recover from the recoil fast enough from either one to get a second shot off if you missed with the first? 

• Robin

i would have the Ruger alaskan as BACKUP but would carry a lever gun in 45/70

.454 Super Casull Magnum much better on grizzly bear. Not want Glock of any caliber. Need more accuracy to defend against such dangerous game.

• John

The Casull would be the better choice.  The Glock, shooting a relatively powerful semi-automatic cartridge with a high rate of firepower could certainly kill a grizzly at close range, but being under 25 yards from a charging grizzly would make most people rather worried.  Better off with a firearm that has a cartridge that can deliver a sufficient amount of muzzle energy as opposed to firepower

There is a true story about an African hunter who was ran up a tree by a cape buffalo.  He had a rifle, but it was too far out of reach.  His sidearm was a .45 semi-automatic pistol.  He fired SEVEN full clips into the animal before he slowed it down enough to get out of the tree to finish it off with a rifle.

• C T M

Before I answered I actually looked this up to make sure, and as far as I can tell there's no cartridge or caliber known as the .454 Super Casull Magnum. 

There is a very well known caliber known as .454 Casull though, and I'm fairly certain this is the caliber you're asking about.

I would rather have the 10mm because I can handle the recoil better than I can handle the recoil of the Casull. I own both, and the Casull is brutal in recoil making fast follow-up shots difficult. The 10mm is reasonably easy to control and making fast follow-up shots is a lot quicker.

Of course, your best big bear defense is always going to be a long gun, not a handgun.

I live in Alaska.  Have taken grizzly bear before.  A few years ago a large black bear 'got the drop on me' - as I drew my 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger from a belt holster my shoulder locked up.  Had it attacked, I would be dead.  Getting old sucks.  For real big bear protection you want a 12ga pump with slugs handy.

What do I carry for a pistol now?  Its more the shoulder rig - I have the 6 shot Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 2.5" model in 480 Ruger with a Galco chest holster.  This rig will make any revolver come out fast and easy.  What ever you choose - you want this type of chest holster system.

I prefer a revolver when in the field. If you are forced to field strip and clean - revolver has no parts to loose - and a revolver will deal with debris where a semi-auto wont.

Go fire a 454.  Most big men can get the first shot in the black.  The next 5 are usually not on the paper.

The 480 Ruger is not as powerful as the 454 but 3x more than a 44mag.  My wife can keep all 6 rounds in the target black at 25 yards.

10mm - if you are not around big grizzlies allot - 10mm is good.  Not great - but not bad.  Here I would not go with the Glock - look at the Rock Island 1911 that holds 18 rounds.

All things being equal. If being around bears does not happen much (moose are pretty dangerous, I have been attacked by 2x more moose then bears) you should consider a rifle in the same caliber as your pistol.  Shame Rossi stopped making the lever action 480 Ruger. Here a 44mg pistol and lever gun make sense. 

What do I carry?  480 Ruger Alaskan in the chest rig and a Marlin 45-70 lever gun on my ATV handlebars.  If you were going to borrow my other ATV and head out with me,  I would loan you a 480 Ruger 7.5" pistol and 12ga pump with slugs for your handlebars.

If you bought a shirt one size bigger than your usual, got a chest rig for the Glock, that shirt will keep it clean and now your 10mm would be happy.  If you can keep your semi-auto pistol clean and handy - you are good to go.  

• BOBBER

I would go with the ruger.. That is a bigger round and a very reliable type of handgun.

The best method for bear protection is to not camp far away. If you do want to go camping, bring a very loud air horn, and bear spray.