Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Are doggie fence shock collars abusive, what are the effects?

I have an 8 1/2 week old puppy and I really want the best for her, I rent a house which has a very large yard and would love to have her run freely around back. My landlord unfortunately says that he doesn’t want me to get a fence but suggested I get a dog fence shock collar, to me it seemed cruel and barbaric at first But I thought about it and there are some pros..

She would have free range literally no strings attached, It would only shock if she went out of the yard and I’m sure she would learn quickly.. eventually it could train her to stay in the yard and I wouldn’t need to have the shock collar anymore.. and I can take it with me anywhere so that she can have free range at friends houses or even if I plugged it into the car and went to a Dog friendly park.

I’m trying to do my research on cons, could this leave burns or scars? Could it kill her or cause nerve damage? What are your concerns or experiences with this? I truly only want the best and that’s why I’m doing my research but I understand that it may sound barbaric

get a fence that can be taken down after you leave the property. Shock collars are cruel

• Sean K

Most people can get by with just long evening walks. Our dog has no interest in the backyard. She just wants sniffs in the park. 

• "Are doggie fence shock collars abusive, what are the effects?"

Try wearing one around YOUR neck, correctly fitted so that the 2 prongs are tight against your skin. I bet that, even if the "invisible fence" isn't turned on, you will know the answer in less than 2 days.

• "I have an 8 1/2 week old puppy and I really want the best for her, I rent a house which has a very large yard and would love to have her run freely around back. My landlord unfortunately says that he doesn’t want me to get a fence but suggested I get a dog fence shock collar,

Time for a new landlord - or to BUY your own home.

• "to me it seemed cruel and barbaric at first But I thought about it and there are some pros..

She would have free range literally no strings attached, It would only shock if she went out of the yard and I’m sure she would learn quickly.."

Totally WRONG!

👺1: The shock starts while she is IN the yard. That is what teaches her that she has to move away from where the cable is. If you pay the right price, she does get an AUDIBLE signal first, so learns to back up as soon as she hears that sound. But otherwise she has to LEARN every position in which she got shocked. The effect is to make a timid dog never RUN freely... Just to creep from place to place. It also MAKES many dogs timid. And DEFINITELY interferes with games of ball-throw-&-fetch

👺2: Many dogs RUSH at an enemy or other "attraction" and, although the severe shock paralyses their legs, they are moving so fast that their momentum rolls them past the narrow "pain barrier" so they pick themselves up, shake to get rid of the effect, then continue on with their attempt to get mated or have a fight, whatever. (Those that DON'T roll out of the area "controlled" by the buried cable will continue getting shocked until the collar's battery goes flat - by which time the dog is probably dead from a heart attack.)

👺3:Regardless of whether she gets mated, or is killed during the fight, or run over while crossing the street: Once she's OUT of the yard, if she's survived she will be WALKING, and so the shocks prevent her from coming back IN !

👺4: Even MORE dangerous: Stray dogs are NOT wearing shock collars, and so your pet is vulnerable to THEM, whether they are randy or aggressive or rabid or piddle-poo-vomitting viruses onto your pet's territory.

• "eventually it could train her to stay in the yard and I wouldn’t need to have the shock collar anymore.."

YOU are an unrealistic dreamer - possibly influenced by a con-artist salesman who relies on a commission for each sale he/she makes. Or are you so young (pre-teenager) that you still believe in tooth fairies, fairy godmothers, magic and Santa Claus?

Assume that it takes 1 month of buzzes and shocks to "train" her that WHILE she wears the collar she'd better back up whenever she hears the buzz, she WON'T hear the buzz once you unplug the cable and/or leave the collar (which I object to because it needs its 2 prongs DIGGING INTO the dog's neck) in its box. Your theory MIGHT work if you have a VERY timid (she should be put out of her misery!), non-aggressive pet, but within a month or two most dogs would probably ignore having the collar on if it DOESN'T buzz-then-shock them.

But "On" or "Off", it makes NO difference to whether she is ATTACKED/MATED by stray dogs or a rabies-infected animal, NOR to whether her territory is INFECTED by bacteria and viruses deposited by stray dogs piddle-poo-vomitting on it because there is no FENCE to keep them out..

🤢Re-READ my 1-to-4 above.

• "and I can take it with me anywhere so that she can have free range at friends houses or even if I plugged it into the car and went to a Dog friendly park."

Oh really? Does the one you're thinking of even HAVE a plug to fit the cigarette-lighter (or whatever) on your car's dashboard? If so: How long will the car's battery last before you are stranded with a flat battery? (The "invisible fences" I've read or heard about have to be plugged into the mains power (240volts in my nation, 120volts in the USA), not a 6volt or 12volt or 24volt car battery).

• "I’m trying to do my research on cons, could this leave burns or scars?"

Burns: No. Mental scars: Yes, very probable. Physical scars: Definitely probable! Death: Definitely possible!

Unlike you, I took into consideraion the situation that results when there is NO PHYSICAL FENCE to keep her home and other animals OUT. You need to think about whether there are brattish children in your district, and what THEY can do to a dog that isn't protected by fences.

🤢RE-READ my 1-to-4. and THINK of how much danger a pooch with NO pen and NO physical fence to keep HER home and dangers OUT is in. You should have neither children nor pets UNTIL you have a securely fenced property.

• " Could it kill her or cause nerve damage?"

I've already listed 5 ways it could kill her. But if you've forgotten: 🔸1: If she collapses within the band that triggers the shocks, it could kill her by heart attack. And as there are no FENCES to keep other animals out, it could kill her 🔹2: in a fight or 🔸3: by a rabid attacker or 🔹4: other bacteria & viruses deposited on your property. And if she charges through the shock barrier she is VERY likely to be killed by 🔸5: a vehicle. To which I add that 🔹6: if she is a brachycephalic breed, there is a HIGH likelihood that attempting to give birth to puppies would kill her.

• "What are your concerns or experiences with this? I truly only want the best and that’s why I’m doing my research but I understand that it may sound barbaric"

If you haven't understood by now you are unreachable.

If you HAVE understood, give me the Favorite Answer points I've earned.

I've sold only 1 pup to an owner whose property was fenced but not gated. It was at the very end of a suburban street so was at low risk. However, he spent so much time home-alone inside the house while both humans were at work that he was unsure of people - something that NO dog should be, let alone a German Shepherd Dog.

Les the aged Kiwi - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

My suggestion?  Ask the "doggie fence guy," the installer, to come to your house.  Put the collar around your neck.  Ask him to shock you.  Tell him not to tell you when you are going to get shocked.  Just wander around with him at the control.

You are aware that these fences MAY keep your dog in.  They do NOT keep other dogs out.

Yes, I work in rescue and I've seen neck damage, scars, open wounds from shock collars.

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about.  You are going to dig up the underground fence which sends the charge to the collar and take it to dog parks with you?  What am I missing here?

You plan to do the teaching?  Bad idea.  Don't know what you are doing and you will damage the dog.

If you have any trees I would suggest a long lead to attach to her collar or harness. She could run and not get shocked.

• J M

Shock collars are abusive on puppies. Not all invisible fences use shock. Research more. 

You may not be able to put up a fence but you can get an exercise pen for dogs big enough for her & much more.  Using electricity on a dog is very abusive.  Would you use one on a child to keep the child in the yard?  No, you wouldn't.  So you shouldn't use it on a dog either.  Both a dog & a child learn in the exact way.  Repetition, repetition, repetition right?  Practice & practice & practice until it is done right.

Using electricity to train a dog is a cruel thing to do to dogs.  Totally unnecessary.  If you use the collar, put one on yourself & every time the dog gets SHOCKED, you get shocked too.  A dog can run right past/through it & only be shocked for a split second.  Oh, no, dog gone.  Any other animal can get in & tear your dog to pieces.  Do not use electricity on a dog.

• Jojo

No-one in their right mind would use an electric collar and fence on a 10 week old puppy. 

There are temporary dog fences you can buy that are also portable and are  easy and quick to erect and to take down. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=portable+dog+fenci...

https://www.google.com/search?q=temporary+dog+fenc...

Your pup `could` be traumatized or even ruined for life by subjecting it to electric current. 

The other alternative is to find more dog friendly accomodation. Fast.

I have to question why you got a young puppy that needs constant attention and toilet training, if you were aware that the yard where you live had restrictions on erecting fencing.  

To the other answer..  There are radio ones that are not buried.   There is a base unit that plugs in and you set what radius the collar is for.

The radio type collar you are looking at tho is not very consistent at working tho.  Ive read reviews of some that would randomly shock the dog even when not close to the boundary, and interference with the radio can cause weak points.

Some dogs will take the shock and run the fence anyways.. Especially to chase something that they find tempting.

These fences really are meant to be more of a reminder for a dog that is supervised outdoors and already reliably trained to stay in the boundary

• *****

Yes, they are cruel, and illegal in most civilized countries. Additionally, most dogs will accept the shock to leave the yard when excited- could be by a passing person or dog, chasing a squirrel, etc. Plus, they provide ZERO protection for your dog against strays, wildlife or malicious people. 

Additionally, most are certainly not portable. They use a buried boundary wire. Even if they WERE portable, taking it with you to locations where the dog doesn't know the acceptable boundary is doubly cruel.