Am I allowed to do this at my job?!?

So today my dad was talking to me about work. We were at target and most people had on a mask and a few people didn't. It made me and my parents a little concerned and irritated that they weren't wearing masks. My dad made a statement saying how if I was at my job, and a customer was not wearing a mask then I was allowed to not check them out. 

I work at a clothing store and explained to my dad how I didnt want to lose my job and he said I should do it because they are putting my health in danger. We are required to wear masks at our job and we sanitize before and after customers. I havent returned to work yet and im going back on Sunday but I'm not sure if we are making every customer wear a mask or not. 

My dad said even if they let people in the store without a mask. If I have to check them out, then I should ask them to put it on and if they don't have one then I should tell them I can get someone else to help them.

I guess my dad just doesn't want me in danger. Do you think I'm allowed to do this?

• L

When you are at your job -  you follow the ORDERS given to you....NOT your father.

If someone is not wearing a mask.................they could have reasons; asthma, etc.  

that depends on store policy.  I wouldn't follow your dad's advice.

COMPANY POLICY. The law doesn't dictate one way or the other.

Actually, you are either required to, or not allowed to, refuse to serve the customer.

If there is no requirement for a customer to wear a mask, then no, you are not allowed to HARASS a customer.   There should be a plexiglass barrier between you and the customer anyways

Your dad is not your boss. While yes, the 13th amendment prevents your employer from forcing you to interact with a customer not wearing a mask, it doesn't require them to keep you employed if you refuse to. Your employer can dismiss you for refusing to do your job.

If your employer doesn't require customers to wear a mask, then you need to evaluate whether you want to continue working there. Businesses that don't enforce a mask policy are putting their employees as well as other customers at risk. I have personally left businesses when I have seen them not enforce their mask policy. This includes a car dealership where I ended up buying from a different dealer pretty much just because of the mask deal.

There is no law against doing so, but you might get fired for it, thus it is best you run Dad's idea by your employer instead of random people on the internet.

Yes, it's freedom of speech followed by freedom to work somewhere else.

Unless, of course, your father is the Chief Executive of the clothing store where you work.

• xyzzy

Of course you are allowed to do that. You also will be allowed to find a new job.

You should have a bunch of extra masks (they can be cheap, disposable ones) so that if someone doesn't have one, you can give them one.

I would be asking your store manager these questions. There are no laws regarding this, but many companies have set policy