How can I start a career as a storyteller/audiobook reader/narrator?

• Andrew
    Favorite Answer

How many times do you intend to ask this same question, Mikey? This isn't a job board - it's a forum dedicated to the discussion of books and writing. Voice-over work doesn't have anything to do with the reading or writing of books. If you're so keen to get your foot in the door in the audio-book industry, network with people who are affiliated with it who can advise you how to proceed. Barring a few exceptions, I can't stand audio-books, but it doesn't take an expert to understand that it's silly for you to think that anybody here is going to be able to provide you with step-by-step instructions for becoming a full-time narrator. 

I would imagine that the first qualification for doing voice work would be that a person has a voice that the general public would enjoy listening to, and that they would be willing to fork over money to hear. Don't you have a local radio station in your city or town? I'm sure there are universities and amateur broadcaster, public access television stations, etc., that employ amateur or semi-professionals to do voice-work. That's how most people get started. My da had an accent so thick you could stand a spoon up in the middle of it and he used to do voice work for a local television station narrating commercials that would air in the middle of the night. We'd be getting pissed up in the pub and an advert for a horseback riding academy would come on and it'd be my da's voice over footage of sprogs traipsing along on horseback and it would do all our heads in every time. 

You know how he got that job? By complete accident. A wrong number. And the bloke on the other end thought he'd be the perfect addition to the adverts he was running and asked him to come down and do an audition like. You could sit around dialing numbers at random in the hopes that somebody who picks up might own a recording studio. I suppose there is the off chance; however, if you want to save time and money, maybe you'd better look into talking with somebody who knows the ins and outs of it. 

Think about the books that are made available on tape. We're not talking about the vanity press space opera your sister's boyfriend's brother wrote three years ago that hasn't moved triple digit copies or the érotic romance set in 1880s frontier America that somebody in your mum's sewing circle is pitching for her socially awkward niece who studied pre-Columbian basket-weaving and interpretative dance at the community college. Nobody is going to green-light an audio-book version of any book that isn't selling well enough to justify the expense. And if I were moving thousands of copies of my book and somebody were to say to me "You know, Andy, there's this muppet called Mike who's been asking after a narrator's position on the internet. perhaps you ought to give him a go" I'd say "Why in Hell would I be interested in somebody that doesn't have the good sense to get up off his árse to find a realistic means of pursuing his 'dream' to begin with?" 

Books don't write themselves. Do you really think that somebody who has poured his or her heart and soul into creating something from nothing is going to want to hand his or her creation over to a person who doesn't possess the bare minimum of ambition to be able to do some of his own footwork? I realise that it's silly to compare people of my generation to people like you - if I were to note that you lot are incapable of driving manual or reading a paper map or using a card catalog or you'd tell me that my boradsword skills are inferior to those of your average Tenth Century Dane, but while you people cannot function without the internet, you don't know how to use it properly. How is that even possible? 

You can go ahead and start making audiobooks of public domain material. There is a lot of pulp fiction out there that is public domain and genre fans would like to listen to.  

You either have the patience and a voice made for radio to narrate an entire narrative, or you do not. You cannot sit around waiting for someone to pay you to find this out. 

i would ask someone in your school about it

Almost all the readers are actors with experience in the theater. So start by studying theater.