Random
Random asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

What's the best way to introduce a new kitten into a home that already has an adult cat?

I have an adult cat who's about 7-8 years old and I will be getting a new kitten pretty soon. My adult cat has lived with other cats in the past and got along with them just fine but that was several years ago.

• Rick

If the adult cat is neutered, you`ll likely have no problem.  If it`s a male and un-neutered, you may have a problem.  Some Toms will kill and eat kittens.  I had it happen to me once.  Most females will slowly take to the kitten and maybe even mother it a little bit.  

• Shay

Usually keeping the kitten in just one room and allow the cats to "greet" each other by sniffing under the door works fairly well.  If there doesn't seem to be any aggressive issues while a door is between them, then open the door.  Never force them together.  Watch them until you know the older one isn't going to hurt the younger one.  If there is any risk of fighting - place at least one of them in a room that the other one can't get into.  It is usually better to let the adult cat have the run of the house other than one room that the kitten stays in until they can be trusted together without supervision.  Trusting them can take anything from one day to a couple of weeks of letting them adjust to each other.  

Be careful not to mistake the adult cat teaching the kitten how to behave as "aggression".  Adult cats will "smack", growl, or warn a kitten just to tell them their behavior is not acceptable.  Don't break up these small fights unless you feel the kitten is in danger.  The adult cat should back off when the kitten changes behavior.  If your adult cat is female - she might even adopt a kitten as something she needs to care for.