When is there enough snow to switch to 4x4?

So I’m new to the truck scene and I’m moving up north where there’s heavy snow fall and I was wonder at what point should I switch to 4x4. When the snow first starts fall? When it’s a couple inches?

• chorle

When I lived in the Fargo/Moorhead area and used plowed roads the main time I put the one 4 wheeler I had in 4 wheel drive was to get over the hump the snow plow left when it plowed the street after I shoveled the driveway. 

I would go with if you are driving in a snow storm or on ice but I have lived in a non snowing part of California for 20 years because as much as I like lower mortgage payments, I don't miss driving in snow. 

I live in northern BC Canada and I drive a two wheel drive mini-van.  Proper tires and knowing how to drive in the snow are both more important than four wheel drive.  Four wheel drive sometimes even gets you into more trouble because it doesn't help your braking any.  The only time people ever really need it is if they are too lazy to shovel their driveway or have to drive unplowed logging roads (but even those are often passable).  It's more about the specific conditions than any particular time of year.

• Marli

Wrong category. This category is Books and Authors so don't spam.

When you move, ask your neighbours.  Only they can tell you what snow conditions are like.

Unless you live in Australia or New Zealand this isn't something you need to worry about for some months yet.