Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

rent matter?

Due to corona pandemic , i could not pay rent in full the last 2 months.

This morning i was surprised by a guy telling me he is a citizen and soon the lease of the house will be on his name and that i have the option to leave or he will take me to court since i live in the basement which is illegal according to him.

That guy happens to be a relative of the lady whose name on the lease for now and whose legal status is unknown . 

The landlord when he came to collect the rent last month said that if the lady whose name on the lease fails to pay the rent ,she and the 3 other tenants including me will be out all together.

The new guy who wants the lease on his name will gather with the landlord today and invited me to join to discuss the matter, what shall i do?

Favorite Answer

Basements can be legal apartments if certain requirements are met. I don't know if yours is or not. 

But a relative cannot evict you. Only a landlord can evict you. He will have to go to court to do that. It can take up to 3 months.  Most states and areas are giving an eviction reprieve to people who cannot pay full rent because of the pandemic. MOST. Not all. It depends on the circumstances. You definitely need to go to his meeting and find out his intentions. 

Ask to see the lease. Ask to see his proof that he now owns the property. If you have a lease, take a copy of it with you. And before you go, I would definitely find out what your state laws are concerning eviction. Google it. 

so you are sublease...depending on state covid law, you may or may not be able to be evicted.  if your state is evicting, you can expect to be homeless soon if you don't pay up.

also, sounds like you don't have a lease and can be given notice to move out.

You are probably going to have to catch up on the rent or eventually get evicted.  Where I am its another month before people can be evicted (due to the virus) but pretty soon eviction are returning if it isn't already allowed where you are.  I guess you could join the converstaion with them and try for the sympathy vote.  Maybe it'll slow down the eviction a tiny bit.

Go live under the interstate.

You go to the meeting or start looking for another place to live.

• Maxi

Pay your rent in full or you will be given notice to leave and court evicted

• Amy

If the full amount of rent isn't paid, all tenants will be evicted. It doesn't matter who paid and who didn't. 

Only the person whose name is on the lease is responsible for paying, but everyone who lives there gets at least 30 days warning to move out.

Whether the basement apartment actually is illegal depends on local rules. If there's only one exit, it might fail to meet fire-safety requirements.

You can go to the meeting and discuss the matter, but you should expect to be kicked out in 30 days.

• God

I guess it wouldn't hurt to go see what they want.  In many places there are restrictions on throwing people out due to Corona.  You might want to do some homework in your town to see if they really can throw you out now.