Boy
Boy asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

I used a chain saw without chain oil, did I damage anything? ?

I have an electric chainsaw (one that plugs into the wall outlet)

I had to use it in an emergency once and didn’t have the time to buy and put the chain oil into it. 

I saw down some wood and it did it perfectly. I didn’t see any smoke anywhere coming from the chainsaw. 

Did i damage anything in the chainsaw? 

Favorite Answer

only time will tell.  the oil has nothing to do with the motor and everything to do with wear on the chain and drive mechanism [the teeth and guides, principally].  if it wears out soon, you'll know you did it

I assume it had a automatic chain oiler. It probably had just enough oil left in the reservoir. If it wasn't smoking or the chain wasn't binding then you are probably okay. Chain oil really does not go bad so I always fill the reservoir before I put my chain saw away.

The oil is for lubricating the chain, not the engine.  damage would depend in how much you cut.

• Droopy

You probably damaged the chain some.  Course that all depends  on amount of wood you cut.