Should I get a portable AC unit for my bedroom?

My husband and I live in an apartment in Texas with great insulation and AC that works pretty well. Unfortunately, the four AC units that cool our entire building are RIGHT OUTSIDE of our bedroom window which means the bedroom is ALWAYS about 5 degrees hotter than the rest of the apartment, more like 10 if we shut the door. I've been looking into small portable AC units, particularly Blaux. The research I've done so far seems to indicate that they definitely can't cool off a non-air conditioned room on their own. However I'm curious whether they would be strong enough to cool off our bedroom that last little bit to make it more comfortable. We keep it between 65 and 70 in our apartment, so it's never more than 75 in our room. Would it be worth trying one or would it not do anything since it's already so cool in there?

It may be worth mentioning that the window in our bedroom is about 6 feet wide by 4 feet tall, it takes up most of the exterior wall which is the reason I think the AC units are the cause of the excess heat.

Also, the other bedroom has the same sized window and it is by far the coldest room in the apartment, so it is not just the size of the window causing the heat.

• alan P

The Blaux air cooler is an interesting device.  Normal air conditioning works by rejecting the heat in the room to another place such as the outside.  A fridge works on a similar principle rejecting heat from the inside of the fridge to the room it's sitting in. So it's very hard to see how a small self contained device like the Blaux could work. Perhaps it's working by evaporative cooling making the air cooler at the expense of making it more humid.  If that's the case then it might make you feel more comfortable because regular air conditioning makes the air very dry.  But however it works there's only a limited amount such a small self powered device can do.  But if I were you I would make do with what I had and try to divert as much as possible of the cold air into the bedroom from elsewhere in the apartemnt.  I'm surprised you think that 70 F is 'unbearably hot.'  Perhaps a little warm for sleeping but in the rest of the house surely you could get along with it hotter than that. If you are wearing pajamas then sleep naked instead with just a sheet on the bed.

• John

try aluminum. aluminum is a heat conductor so will tranfer heat away with the breeze. put a big piece around your windows with fins on it and pipe the breeze over the fins. air conditioners are loud obnoxious and uae too much energy.

its the slave mentality of the working class that keeps them around.

why are you keeping it so cold?  you are wasting energy, normal people are comfortable in the upper 70s in the summer....at 65-70, normal people are wear heavy winter clothing....that makes no sense, wear summer clothing and save energy.

I don't think the AC units are causing the heat.  I think it's where that room is located. 

It's unrealistic to expect any A/C to be able to maintain under 70F even in a moderate climate.  In Texas, in the summer?  Come on, why are you attempting something that's not going to happen. Adjust your vents in the other rooms so it creates a more even flow.

The small ACs that you are looking at, aren't meant to cool a space.  They are meant for a few feet in front of them. 

Try adjusting the vents so that more of the cool air flows into your bedroom area.  That is a trivial fix that costs nothing.  Find the one that blows hardest and set it to 50%.  Then keep going down the line with the bedroom vent at 100%.  You might also want to set the thermostat to a higher temperature, a/c does not work properly when there is more than a 20 degree difference between the external and internal temperature; basic physics.

It should be fine for just an extra 5 degrees of cooling for just one bedroom.  Give it a shot.