Do you think that the handling of the Dominic Cummings situation is one of the many reasons?

Update:

that people in the UK started flouting the medical advice, ie mass gatherings on protest marches, crowding on beaches, illegal raves etc

Update 2:

do you think that, if he'd been made an example of and sacked, perhaps people would still be adhering to the safety measures?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

He was the catalyst, yes. It gave those who wanted to flout lockdown rules the excuse they needed to do whatever they felt like. The government lost any moral authority to tell people what to do by not sacking him.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, it was a complete none event blown out of proportion by the Left Wing media like the BBC.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Cummings had nothing to do with the Floyd protests. You credit him with far more influence than he has. People inundated Snowdonia National Park before Easter, weeks before the Mirror and Guardian broke their stories.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No of course not most people have forgotten all about it. But some people just can't let go. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

yes, but he was not the only one - now the Deputy First Minister has gone and done something similar

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Cummings bent and breached the rules with his long journey to visit his parents and his trip to a visitor attraction (to test his eyes!!!). Not only that but, before he was rumbled, both he and his wife claimed in Spectator articles that they had spent the time in their London flat with Cummings quite ill in bed. By accepting Cummings' disingenuous excuses, Boris Johnson was condoning breaking the rules and that must have contributed to the widespread breakdown in discipline particularly seen during the sunny weather.

Even the 'Daily Mail' condemned Cummings' behaviour and Johnson for condoning it.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No its the whole handling of the situation , if any member of government came to your house offering a cheap tarmac drive they wouldnt be out of place , the fair ground when we were kids trying to knock off ten ton coconuts with little wooden ball and the horse race that your horse gets pipped at the posr is Britain 2020 you would no more allow Johnson do a brain operation on you than let him run your country but we did thats the reason 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

People were flouting the rules long before the Cummings story became public.  Using this as a post-hoc justification for behavior people  knew to be wrong is disingenuous. If this really was true, then it was irresponsible of the Guardian to run their story (with the obvious intent of getting Cummings sacked) when the effect would be to endanger lives. Government is always about do as I say not as I do and it is naive to suppose otherwise. Maybe if we had an effective opposition to hold the government to account we would not have to rely on journalists trying to set the agenda.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

boris johnson and slippery conservatives, lost all credibility, when they lied about PPE for NHS heroes, announcing fatalities that did not include deaths in care homes, fake covid-19 testing and targets, wasting £millions on covid APP that did not work, blaming medical advisors for their bad decisions, but most of all when cabinet members and chief advisor are caught flouting government guidelines, then providing the most pathetic excuses.  

who would of thought cometh the pandemic, cometh a snider conservative.  

do as i say, not as i do (i am entitled)

• 1 month ago

They can't get rid of Cummimgs since he's the only one with a plan, unfortunately he hasn't told anyone in government what that plan is besides break stuff for a laugh

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.