Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 month ago

I thought Japanese people were nicer than this?

Me and my parents just moved to japan 3 days ago, my mom and japanese and my dad is white, we moved back to my mom s birth place because we both love japan. However i speak very little japanese compared to my mother, i tried to make friends with people but my japanese sucks...i tried to talk to strangers hoping to be friends but they can t understand me. Some look at me and laugh. One thing that really hurt me was a girl saw me trying to speak japanese and i think she tried to mock my bad japanese by copying me :(

English is a NIGHTMARE!! to learn. and they start so young with it, it's hard for kids that don't "get it" because failing in school feels like suicide to Japanese kids. I'm not saying Japanese is EZ, but at least, the pronunciation  doesn't change with the spelling of the word. It also doesn't depend on word order in a sentence. So they gotta learn English AND Japanese!! They don't pop out knowing Japanese when they're born. School is hard on everyone, also when kids purposely use English words, they're trying to be all gangsta n ****. 

BUT my advice, is to learn your English taking out all the slang, THEN pop it into a translator... even google is horrendous. My "accent", my ******* neighbors can't even understand me, NYC Newark NJ metro area- I talk "homie" bro. It's not a cure, but make sure you speak the KING's English, when you speak. After studying English from almost BIRTH, if you say English words and a kid that put in 8 years of his life into a language- that's a ******* let down if they don't understand your dialect or wherever the hell you come from, LIKE ME, OMG I speak English like ****. It's not "gangsta" there, your dialect doesn't sound COOL to them like here. So #1 Speak nicely #2 talk about anime or manga or ask- "do you like KPOP", KPOP is awesome, watch a few videos, find KPOP you like, and ask them if they like KPOP. because MUSIC is EVERYBODY''s language. #3 do what we ITALIANS do and talk with your hands. What your hands say is also universal language. #4 watch carefully what are everyday ways ppl do stuff and learn why behind it all. They love talking about their customs- you may not understand a word they say but you can interpret their body language, and you do the same. When you screw up, it's a blast and don't take snickering personally.. that's just how they laugh, AND LAUGH AT YOURSELF TOO. oops, i forgot #5 HUMILITY! always take complements or giggling with humility- like in anime. They ALWAYS act like that in real life ..  don't worry..They do care that you TRY, and laughter is the best ice-breaker. my email is wolfnyc13@gmail.com if you'd like to talk more about it :)

Smells like trolling.

In any event, in the past many, many people have moved to Japan, hooked up with some good people and made good friends.

Why would you expect them to be individually any more or less nice than individuals from where you've come from?

This cannot be true. You would be in quarantine now. Actually, ANA has continued with NRT-YVR, but I assume most passengers are being repatriated. 

• Bob

Why bother with such an obvious lie? You did NOT move to Japan 3 days ago.

Japan is not accepting most international visitors at this time and if you happened to be one of the very few nationalities allowed in, you’d still need to be quarantined for 14 days, so would NOT be out and about trying to make friends and embarrass yourself with your poor Japanese.

しかも、日本人の母親がいるなら、なんでお前の日本語力はダメなの?それはお前のお母さんのせいじゃない?

Some are like them, some are so good. You can make friends. Be confident. ^_^

I sometimes see foreigners with Japanese friends. They were smiling. By the way, I think you were not laughed at, but they were just smiling at you because they weren't able to understand at that time, not knowing what to do.

Be confident, you can also use gestures. 

I hope you have good friends here in Japan.

• Quinn

Now you know what it feels like when an Asian moves to America and tries to make friend.

Humans suck. That's it.

• Susie

Take classes and learn their language and customs.  You know the old saying “when in Rome, do as the Romans do”.   Nothing is more divisive than a language barrier. 

it's a closed society, with most of the people moving there have a job waiting for them ..............