Can I use a mainstream brand to present my Portfolio?

I just graduated with an A.S. and Im working on my portfolio. My instructors never brought it up but I wanted to know if I can use a mainstream brand when presenting a portfolio. Example, Im making my very own version logo for, let's say Starbucks coffee, design is my own but its a main brand. Not sure if its considered plagiarizing because Im not wanting to make money off of it per se, just trying to get the job. Am I allowed to present this to employers without getting in trouble?

I didn't mean plagiarize an art but more like the copyrights to a brand

If you are putting together a portfolio demonstrating the kind of work you're capable of doing, then use of someone else's trademarked image is likely okay.

Where you'd risk trademark infringement is when an image you use could confuse a potential customer into thinking that you are somehow affiliated with or licensed by that other business.

Since you are selling your trademark designing skills and not selling coffee, a consumer would not be likely to think that you're in the coffee business.

Probably the only thing you'd have to be careful of is that you don't represent to your potential clients/employer that you had been hired by starbucks and came up with those designs as part of your prior work. 

If you logo is LIKELY to be on confused with that of ANY registered trademark, it violates trademark law, PERIOD.

• J M

You can present your original designs ina portfolio

I don't know what YOUR prospective employers allow or don't allow.  I work in HR, and I am part of the hiring process.

Using someone else's brand without explicit consent would be a giant turn off, and you would not get the job.

I'm surprised this wasn't part of your education.

your instructors should have taught you about this.