Why is my speedometer doing this?

I have a 1998 BMW. Drove the car for about two hours and about 30 minutes before reaching my destination my speedometer started going up and down.

• bo
    Favorite Answer

possible the vehicle speed sensor no good there are two. find local shop at ATRA.COM and have them look at it

Source(s): transmission man

speedocable broke inside in half.  so the piece at the motor is still spinning and the other half is catching some of the time.  It is suppose to be 1 long cable. Not 2 pieces.

That is the way they were made since the dinosaurs. Maybe you still got that system.  22 years is a short life  .  Some of them go 1Million miles.+.  it is trouble free enough not to need to go electronic.

Do not know about your 1998.  On old cars, that had the speedometer driven by a spinning cable, the old dry cable would tend to stick (speedometer drops) and then snap ahead to catch up (speedometer jumps up).  The cure would be to lubricate the cable.

If your car has an automatic transmission and you did not have any other issues driving to your destination, there is a wiring problem to the instrument cluster (dash) or the dash could be broken.  If you have a stick, the speed sensor or the dash could be broken.